Take a Dance Break and Grow Fit
Children at Learning Care Group Schools Nationwide Embrace Healthy Lifestyle Program
NOVI, Mich., October 16, 2013 /PRNewswire/ — Stop what you’re doing. Turn up the music and dance!
A new daily custom is sweeping across the country as more than 100,000 children at Childtime, Tutor Time, Children’s Courtyard, La Petite Academy and Montessori Unlimited schools nationwide are taking time out of their busy schedules for a dance break. It’s the latest addition to Grow Fit, the comprehensive health and fitness program introduced a year ago throughout Learning Care Group’s family of schools. The Daily Dance Break can happen any time and take many forms as children and teachers alike find creative ways to practice and enjoy their healthy new habit.
“Two of the most essential life skills we can teach our children are the importance of eating nutritiously and staying active,” said Barbara Beck, CEO of Learning Care Group. “During the past year, our children and employees have truly embraced our Grow Fit healthy lifestyle initiative and made it part of their school culture. Now, our Daily Dance Break gives the children a wonderful opportunity to get re-energized while they are learning.”
Grow Fit aims to position children for future success.
Grow Fit program goals include:
- Physical Activity: 1-2 hours of physical activity through the day, including outside play when possible
- Screen Time: 30 minutes or less weekly at school; 2 hours or less daily at home; None for children under 2
- Food: Serve more fruits and vegetables. Eat meals family style whenever possible. Limit fried foods.
- Beverages: Access to water throughout the day. No sugar-sweetened drinks. For children 2 and older, low-fat or non-fat milk. No more than one 4-6 oz. serving of 100% juice per day.
- Infant Feeding: Support all parents’ decisions about infant feeding. Breastfeeding mothers can provide their milk to their infants and are welcome to breastfeed during school time.
Headquartered in Novi, Mich., Learning Care Group provides early education and child care services to children ages 6 weeks to 13 years within its portfolio of brands: The Children’s Courtyard, Childtime Learning Centers, La Petite Academy, Montessori Unlimited and Tutor Time Child Care/Learning Centers. Learning Care Group operates nearly 950 schools (corporate and franchise) across 36 states, the District of Columbia and internationally, and has a system-wide capacity to serve more than 100,000 children. For more information, please visit www.learningcaregroup.com