CROWNING THE BEST IN THE WORLD … IN SAND SCULPTING; ARTISTS FROM AROUND THE GLOBE AWARDED THE LARGEST PURSE EVER
500 Tons of Sand Transformed into Eye-Popping Temporary Sculptures Using the Simplest Tools Known to Mankind: Hands and Water
Click to Tweet: Congrats to all the #DOACsand Sculpting World Cup winners! Singles: http://twitpic.com/e79pfr | Doubles: http://twitpic.com/e79pdb
Sculptors were judged by three groups:
- Judging Panel made up of six jurists from various art disciplines. They used specific criteria to pick the winners: first impression of design, originality, artistry, difficulty and execution.
- Sculptor’s Choice: Competitors vote for their favorite.
- People’s Choice: Visitors select favorite.
Prizes were awarded for first through 20th place, Sculptor’s Choice and People’s Choice with prize money ranging from $1,000 to $7,000 for a total prize purse of $75,000, the largest of any sand sculpting event.
Winners in the Solo Competition
- 1st Place – Jonathan Bouchard (Canada) for "Back Bone of Life: Tribute to Bio Diversity" ($4,800 prize)
- 2nd Place – Pavel Mylnikov (Russia) for "Painting Comes to Life: Daydreaming Little Girl" ($2,800 prize)
- 3rd Place – Rusty Croft (USA) for "In the Eye of the Beholder" ($2,600 prize)
- Sculptor’s Choice – Jonathan Bouchard (Canada) for "Back Bone of Life: Tribute to Bio Diversity" ($1,000 prize)
- People’s Choice – Sudarsan Pattnaik (India) for “Save Trees, Save Your Children, Save the Future from Global Warming” ($1,000 prize)
Winners in the Doubles Competition
- 1st Place – Mélineige Beauregard and Jonathan Bouchard (Canada) for “Memory Sticks” ($7,000 prize)
- 2nd Place – Pavel Mylnikov & Aleksei Diakov (Russia) for “Timeless Story” ($5,600 prize)
- 3rd Place – Jooheng Tan (Singapore) and Peter Vogelaar (Canada) for “The Diving Horse” ($5,200 prize)
- Sculptor’s Choice – Mélineige Beauregard and Jonathan Bouchard (Canada) for “Memory Sticks” ($2,000 prize)
- People’s Choice – Rusty Croft & Matt Long (USA) for “Spheres of Influence” ($2,000 prize)
About the DO AC Sand Sculpting World Cup (June 19 – July 6)
The world’s top 20 sand sculptors from across the globe created their masterpieces in the DO AC Sand Sculpting World Cup. Before spectators’ disbelieving eyes sculptors carved complex and detailed works, some as tall as 14 feet, with just sand and water as they competed in head-to-head singles and doubles competitions for global bragging rights and the most lucrative prizes in the world. The event, produced by the Atlantic City Alliance takes place on the Atlantic City Beach at Pennsylvania Avenue (between Landshark Bar & Grill and the Steel Pier) and is open 9am – 9pm daily. This year the event runs through the July 4th weekend. It’s FREE and open to the public. The event is presented by the Atlantic City Alliance with media partner CBS3.
About Atlantic City
From sandals to stilettos and foie gras to funnel cakes, Atlantic City offers something for everyone. Enjoy world-class entertainment, dining, shopping, gaming, relaxing on the beach and strolling the historic Boardwalk in the city created to escape the city. For more information visit www.doatlanticcity.com.
The Atlantic City Alliance was established in 2011 as a private, not-for-profit corporation whose primary mission is to develop and implement a full-scale, broad-based, multi-year marketing program for Atlantic City.
# # #