Fisher Nuts and Iron Chef Alex Guarnaschelli Announce
“My Fresh Twist” Recipe Contest Winner
Fisher invited recipe enthusiasts to submit an original recipe featuring nuts at www.myfreshtwist.com for a chance to win a grand prize trip for two to New York City to meet Iron Chef Alex Guarnaschelli. Fisher fans voted to select the top fifteen finalists, and from there the winning recipe was selected by a panel of judges, including Chef Alex Guarnaschelli.
Recipes had to include pecans, walnuts or almonds and were judged based on their originality, integration of nuts, taste, and visual appeal.
“Shauna really took this contest to the next level by using ingredients in new and interesting ways,” said Guarnaschelli. “The combination of the banana and pineapple, as part of the batter really stood out to me. The crunchiness of the nuts provided texture to the sweet, but not too sweet doughnut and frosting. This recipe seems complicated, but is actually very easy to make.”
“I created my Hummingbird Cake Doughnuts for my two little boys as an after school treat,” said ”My Fresh Twist” recipe contest winner, Shauna Harvey. “They were a huge hit and have become a family favorite. Who can resist a homemade doughnut topped with crunchy pecans?”
Hummingbird Cake Doughnuts
Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 45 min
Yield: 18 doughnuts
- 1 ripe banana
- ½ cup canned crushed pineapple
- 2 cups flour
- 1½ cups sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 2 pinches nutmeg
- ½ tsp. salt
- 3 tbsp. salted butter, divided
- 1¼ cups plus 1 to 2 tbsp. half and half, divided
- 1 extra large egg, beaten
- 3 tsp. vanilla, divided
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup chopped Fisher® Pecan Halves
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray a doughnut pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Puree the banana and pineapple in a food processor until smooth, set aside.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a large bowl; set aside. Melt 2 tbsp. butter in a medium microwave safe bowl. Stir in 1¼ cups half and half, egg, 2 tsp. vanilla and reserved banana mixture. Add to flour mixture stirring until just blended. It’s okay if the mixture is lumpy.
- Spoon mixture into doughnut pan, filling each cup about ¾ full. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes or until doughnuts are cooked through. Remove from oven and let cool for five minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Allow doughnuts to cool completely before frosting.
- Wipe out pan, reapply non-stick cooking spray and repeat step three 2 times for remaining batter.
- Melt remaining 1 tbsp. butter and pour into the bowl of an electric mixer. Add powdered sugar, remaining 1 tsp. vanilla, and cream cheese; beat on medium speed until smooth. Add half and half by the teaspoonful until frosting reaches desired consistency.
- Spread frosting onto doughnut tops and sprinkle with nuts.
Note: Batter can be baked as muffins, if desired. Line 2 muffin pans with 18 paper muffin cups. Divide the batter evenly among the cups. Bake for 17 to 19 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Frost and garnish the cupcakes as for doughnuts.
For more information, visit www.myfreshtwist.com.
About John B. Sanfilippo & Son, Inc.
John B. Sanfilippo & Son, Inc., (NASDAQ: JBSS), founded in 1922, is a leading processor, marketer and distributor of baking nuts, snack nuts and nut-based products that are sold in multiple distribution channels. Our products can be found under the Fisher® Nuts, Orchard Valley Harvest® and Sunshine Country® brand names and a variety of private brands.
VideosVideo: Chef Alex Guarnaschelli
Related DocumentFisher Nuts “My Fresh Twist” Recipe Contest Winner: Hummingbird Cake Doughnuts by Shauna Harvey
Related LinksMy Fresh Twist Recipe Contest
Fisher Nuts Website
Recipes and tips from Chef Alex Guarnaschelli