Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars to Release Commemorative Bottling of S.L.V. Cabernet Sauvignon and Host Celebratory Events in Honor of the 40th Anniversary of the Judgment of Paris
PR Newswire, Napa, Calif., March 3rd, 2016
In honor of the 40th Anniversary of the Judgment of Paris this May, Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars will release the 2013 vintage of its iconic S.L.V. Estate Cabernet Sauvignon with a commemorative label replicating the original 1973 S.L.V. Cabernet Sauvignon which took top honors among the red wines at the 1976 Paris Tasting.
Triumphing over two first-growth and other renowned wines of Bordeaux, the 1973 S.L.V. Cabernet Sauvignon brought international recognition to Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars, Napa Valley and the American wine industry as a whole. To mark the historic event, the commemorative 2013 S.L.V. Cabernet Sauvignon carries a small gold band saying “40th Anniversary Vintage,” and releases at the winery May 1, 2016.
“The surprise win in 1976 by Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars – and Chateau Montelena Winery with their Chardonnay – truly changed the course of history,” said Ted Baseler, President and CEO of Ste. Michelle Wine Estates and Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars. “What the Judgment of Paris did was give credibility. It was a trigger event that gave validity to the quality of American wines. It set a high benchmark and legacy for the winery, and one that we work every day to respect and take to new heights.”
Winemaker Marcus Notaro agrees that wine quality is the primary focus today. “Since the purchase of the winery in 2007, we’ve made significant investments in technology and vineyard replanting, and quality is at an all-time high,” he said. “The fact that the 2013 vintage was one of the best in Napa Valley makes the release of the 40th Anniversary vintage even more special.”
Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars has planned a very busy year of tastings and events at the winery and in key cities across the U.S. and around the globe to give our customers and wine lovers a chance to celebrate the milestone 40th Anniversary. Here’s a sampling of the special programming being offered:
PROGRAMS & EVENTS AT STAG’S LEAP WINE CELLARS
S.L.V. Library Tasting – Highlighting the Past, Present and Future of S.L.V.
- May 2016
- Cost: $125/person and includes the tasting and a tour of the winery
- Tasting will be offered at 12:30 pm daily, by reservation only, for a max of 10 people
- Winery guests can enjoy a seated, S.L.V. library tasting of select wines from the 1980s, 1990s, 2000s, and 2013 vintage + a future from barrel
Judgment of Paris Wall Display
- On display in the FAY Outlook & Visitor Center is a bottle of the 1973 S.L.V. Cabernet Sauvignon, the historical timeline of the winery and the TIME magazine article from the 1976 Paris Tasting printed on the wall.
Passport Program with other Judgment of Paris Wineries
- Dates: March 1 – May 26, 2016
- Cost: $200/per person for an elevated tasting at each of the properties.
- Tickets: Available starting March 1 on Cellarpass.com or in person at any of the participating wineries
- Participating wineries: Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars, Chateau Montelena Winery, Freemark Abbey, Spring Mountain Vineyard and Clos du Val
Book signing with author George Taber at Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars FAY Outlook & Visitor Center
- Sunday, May 22, 2016 from 11:00 am to 2:00 pm
- George Taber was the only journalist to attend the historic 1976 Judgment of Paris tasting and wrote the TIME magazine article that was picked up by media around the world. He is the author of the book Judgment of Paris: California vs France and the Historic 1976 Paris Tasting That Revolutionized Wine.
Joint Open House with Chateau Montelena Winery to Celebrate the 40th Anniversary
- Tuesday, May 24, 2016 from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm
- Visitors to Napa Valley are encouraged to visit both Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars and Chateau Montelena on the official 40th Anniversary of the Judgment of Paris.
40th ANNIVERSARY EVENTS AROUND U.S. & WORLD
- January 28 – Naples Winter Wine Festival Vintage Cellar Tasting
- March 17 – Flavor! Napa Valley Judgment of Paris Seminar & Dinner
- May 16 & 17 – The National Museum of American History “American History (After Hours): The Judgment of Paris & American Wine” & “Judgment of Paris: Celebrating America’s Winning Wines,” the museum’s fourth annual Winemakers’ Dinner (Sold out)
- June 4 – Auction Napa Valley Live Lot with bottle of 1973 S.L.V. Cabernet Sauvignon
- June 23 – Masterclass at Christie’s London
More information about the consumer events at the winery can be found as details are available at www.CASK23.com or follow Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars on social media for exclusive events and curated content at:
#judgmentofparis and #siphistory
Jennifer Scott, Director of Communications
206-419-4954 or Jennifer.firstname.lastname@example.org