Live Life Outside: TruGreen Study Uncovers Americans’ Outdoor Living Trends and Aspirations
America’s Leading Lawn Care Company Reveals We Want to Spend More Time Outside for Physical and Emotional BenefitsPR Newswire — MEMPHIS, Tenn. — April 7, 2015
Despite spring’s warmer weather, longer days and greener lawns, a new survey from TruGreen indicates that the majority of Americans may not be living life outside as much as they’d like.
America wants to #LiveLifeOutside! Jason Cameron shares @TruGreen survey results. Tweet
TruGreen believes more life should be lived outside, where we are happier, more active and more connected with ourselves, with loved ones and with nature. To better understand the trends, sentiments and aspirations that Americans associate with being outside, TruGreen conducted a national survey. The results provide insight into not only how we spend our time outside, but also how we think about our outside life. TruGreen Spokesperson Jason Cameron provides a review of the survey results in a new video.
- The Great Outdoors is Calling: More than half of Americans surveyed said they want to spend more time outside, and about two–thirds of all respondents, or 68%, say they are spending less time outside compared to five years ago, reflecting the tendency that perhaps we aren’t stepping outside into the fresh air as often as we’d like to–or perhaps even as often as we should–for a healthy balanced lifestyle.
- Get Outside, Change the World: The belief that time spent outside brings real benefits is substantial. A tremendous 87% of Americans said that if everyone spent more time outside, there would be great health benefits and long–term benefits for society.
- You’re Out!: Overwhelmingly, Americans seem to believe putting down the cell phone for a pick–up game of ball is in order. 92% of those surveyed said it’s important for children to replace video game/internet time with time outside. 72% also said it’s important for themselves to replace video game/internet with time outside. This reflects the belief that while our lives have more digital distractions pulling us indoors, there’s no technology that can replace our happiness and healthiness that comes from a life lived outside.
- Time for Fun in the Sun: Americans spend an average of 309 hours in their yard per year, which is close to two weeks of getting outside and enjoying the fresh air. Moreover most Americans (86%) who are lucky enough to have a yard consider this green space to be an important part of their life, and it shows. Yard owners spend an estimated 50 hours more per year outside than Americans without a yard. That’s more than a full weekend spent enjoying the fresh air and sunshine. Interesting side note: Men spend an estimated 26 more hours per year in their yard than women.
- Greener is Better: One third of homeowners said that they spend more time outside because they have an improved yard. Moreover, 46% of all Americans surveyed said if they had a greener, more maintained and healthier lawn, they would spend more time outside. These sentiments underscore TruGreen’s belief that a happier, more fulfilled, and more connected life lived outside starts with a healthy, beautiful lawn as the foundation.
- It’s a Family Affair: Three out of five of Americans agree that their yard is their favorite place at home to spend quality time with family, which is music to TruGreen’s ears. An amazing two–thirds of Americans said their fondest family memories involves spending time together with friends and family in their yard. These days, those memories are often being made at barbeques and cookouts with more than four out of five Americans (82%) hosting these friendly gatherings.
“At TruGreen, we are committed to helping people live life outside, and spend more time enjoying their yards with family, friends and neighbors,” said TruGreen President and CEO David Alexander. “We believe a beautiful lawn inspires beautiful connections, which often become our fondest memories and can even lead to creating new traditions. We’ve always felt that we are happier and healthier when we’re outside- and now our survey results are showing that America agrees.”
**TruGreen’s National Live Life Outside Survey was fielded from January 28 – February 2, 2015, using the field services of Research Now. The online omnibus survey was conducted among a nationally representative sample of Americans aged 18–64 (n=2,000), with a margin of error of plus or minus 2.2 percentage points at the 95 percent confidence level.
Memphis, Tenn.–based TruGreen is the nation’s largest lawn care company, serving more than 1.7 million residential and commercial customers across the United States with lawn, tree and shrub care. TruGreen believes more life should be lived outside and is committed to providing a beautiful lawn to serve as the foundation for outside experiences and lifelong memories. As the leader in the professional lawn care industry, TruGreen helps define responsible lawn care practices, conducts industry–leading education and training for our people, pioneers new application technologies and educates our customers on proper mowing and wise–use watering techniques. Today, there are approximately 210 TruGreen lawn care branches in the United States and Canada, plus about 35 franchise locations. Go to http://www.TruGreen.com or http://www.facebook.com/TruGreen for more information about TruGreen.
Amy Simpson, TruGreen
Jordan Zuhr & Erin Del Llano, MSLGROUP