The PureBlue Home at Brookfield Residential’s Avendale community in Northern Virginia is a concept home built to test the limits of innovation, efficiency and design, to explore the latest technologies and find out how they fit with the way homeowners want to live today, tomorrow and far beyond. The lessons learned will help Brookfield Residential build better, healthier, more energy-efficient homes. And the project has the potential to reshape the way high-volume homebuilders approach energy-efficient homes.
“The PureBlue Home is our chance to prove that we can create our own energy,” said Robert Hubbell, president of Brookfield Residential’s Washington, D.C., division. “If we continue along this path, we can save our homebuyers thousands of dollars a year, and we can do it without asking them to sacrifice. We’ll actually make their lifestyle more comfortable and more enjoyable.”
The PureBlue Home scored an estimated –1 on the industry’s standard Home Energy Rating System Index, meaning that the home generates more energy than it consumes. A new home built just five years ago averages a 103.
The home’s features improve energy efficiency, make life easier and healthier for residents, and build upon Brookfield Residential’s reputation for smart, stylish design. Among the favorites:
Supreme Energy Efficiency
- Structural insulated panels (SIPs) replace stud-framed exterior walls, creating a stronger, tighter seal to bring greater efficiency and savings.
- The hybrid hot water heater provides outstanding performance while requiring significantly less energy.
- A high-efficiency HVAC system ensures clean, healthy air is always circulating.
Harnessing Nature’s Resources
- Solar panels on the roof harness the sun’s energy and minimize consumption.
- The greywater system captures and recycles household water and rainwater to minimize flooding, erosion and runoff, while reducing water usage.
Sustainable and Beautiful
- The stunning kitchen bar top has been repurposed from a black walnut tree removed during development and fashioned by furniture artist Vicco Von Voss.
- Eco Veneer bamboo cabinets provide a sleek, beautiful look created with strong, sustainable materials.
- Landscaping is highlighted by native, low-water plants that are easily maintained with a drip irrigation system.
“The PureBlue Home really is a glimpse into the future of homebuilding, not just for Brookfield Residential but for the entire industry,” Hubbell said. “We’re excited to put into practice all the lessons learned from this project so we can build the very best homes for all of our homeowners.”
For more information visit, BrookfieldDC.com/PureBlue.
Brookfield Residential Properties Inc. is a leading North American land developer and homebuilder. We entitle and develop land to create master-planned communities and build and sell lots to third-party builders, as well as to our own homebuilding division. We also participate in select, strategic real estate opportunities, including infill projects, mixed use developments, and joint ventures. For more information, please visit BrookfieldResidential.com.