Blackhawk Engagement Solutions’ survey demonstrates that less than half of employees are happy with the rewards and recognition their employers offer
Employee happiness research: @BHEngagement uncovers what impacts #employee happiness at work Tweet
“Gone are the days when all-expense paid trips and merchandise hold much weight to make employees happy, productive or motivated,” said Rodney Mason, GVP of Marketing with Blackhawk Engagement Solutions, an international incentives provider. “Our research demonstrates that employees want recognition for their contributions, and rewards for exceeding expectations, putting in extra hours and working beyond their responsibilities.”
“The Happiness Study” from Blackhawk Engagement Solutions examines what impacts employees’ happiness at work, which types of recognition and rewards work best for motivating them, and what additional engagement activities employees would be willing to participate in, if properly incentivized. The survey, conducted in April 2015, questioned more than 1,800 employed Americans, including both salaried and hourly paid employees.
Key findings from the research include:
- Work significant, but not most important factor in overall happiness: Out of a list of 12 influencers, with one being the highest, respondents ranked their jobs number eight in terms of contributions to overall happiness. Ranking in the top spots were family, friends and health. However, 67% reported that their job is important to overall happiness.
- How employers strive to make staff happy: When asked how they believe their employers strive to make them happy, 90% of employees reported that they are given a clear understanding of what is expected of them at work; 80% have the materials, equipment and training they need to do their job and 78% believe their colleagues are committed to quality work. Only 42% of respondents are happy with the rewards and recognition that their companies offer.
- When employees want to be recognized: Exceeding personal performance levels (82%), receiving a promotion (79%), exceeding team performance levels (77%) and achieving a milestone for years of service (69%) are the occasions that employees most want recognition from their employers. Employees also report that they would be happier if their employers offered the following types of incentives: bonus (55%), employee recognition (50%), spot rewards (48%) and wellness incentives (47%). A significant number of respondents (38%) report that their employers currently offer no rewards or recognition at all.
- Employers can delight staff, save money with prepaid cards: Employees reported that prepaid cards are the top reward choice in many circumstances. If offered a $100 reward, 92% of employees would prefer a prepaid card, versus a reward that can be redeemed online from select participants (6%) or a catalog where rewards can be selected (2%). Additionally, employees prefer prepaid cards even when the value is less than other rewards, for example, 45% would prefer a $500 prepaid card over just 37% that would select a four-day, all-inclusive vacation and 12% that would pick $1,000 in merchandise credit from a catalog.
- Staff is willing to increase engagement when incentivized: 80% of employees would be willing to participate in a safety awareness program that requires quarterly training with a $25 reward for completing each component. 72% would attend after-hours training for a $25 reward. 64% would recruit a candidate for an open position with the company for a $100 reward. 61% would stay another year on the job for three $50 spot rewards. And 60% would participate in a wellness program for a $25 reward.
The complete “Happiness Study,” employee rewards & recognition report can be downloaded here. Blackhawk Engagement Solutions will also host a free webinar on HR.com to discuss these research findings from 12PM-1PM CDT on Thursday, June 11, more info here.
Blackhawk Engagement Solutions’ scalable global solutions for corporate employee engagement include rewards and recognition, incentives, training and education and more.
About Blackhawk Engagement Solutions
Blackhawk Engagement Solutions is a leading global provider of customized incentive and engagement solutions for employee rewards, consumer promotions and recognition, and indirect sales channel management programs. Blackhawk Engagement Solutions is a strategic partner with many of the world's leading brands and a thought leader that provides game-changing engagement solutions. Through innovative products, services and technology, Blackhawk Engagement Solutions inspires actions that impact results. For more information, please visit: www.bhengagement.com.
Blackhawk Engagement Solutions is a division of Blackhawk Network, headquartered in Lewisville, Texas.
About Blackhawk Network
Blackhawk Network Holdings, Inc. (NASDAQ: HAWK and HAWKB) is a leading prepaid and payments global company, which supports the program management and distribution of gift cards, prepaid telecom products and financial service products in a number of different retail, digital and incentive channels. Blackhawk’s digital platform supports prepaid across a network of digital distribution partners including retailers, financial service providers, and mobile wallets. For more information, please visit www.blackhawknetwork.com and www.giftcardmall.com.