SunPower Reinvents Home Solar with SunPower Equinox™
Fully Integrated Solution Delivers 70 Percent More Energy to Consumers with 70 Percent Fewer Visible Parts, Designed and Engineered by SunPower
PR Newswire – SAN JOSE, Calif., March 21, 2016
Today, SunPower introduces the SunPower Equinox™ system, now available to U.S. homeowners. It is the first residential solar solution in the nation in which every major component has been designed and engineered by one company to work seamlessly together, delivering unbeatable power, long-term performance and curb appeal. With a typical SunPower Equinox installation, only the solar panels and a Smart Energy management device are visible, reflecting SunPower’s minimalist architectural approach at the system level.
The SunPower Equinox platform was engineered based on the company’s The Power of One™ philosophy, which drives innovation of preconfigured solutions that simplify solar for consumers. In 2010, SunPower introduced its Oasis® Power Plant, the world’s first fully integrated utility solar platform, which enables rapid, cost-effective construction of large-scale power plants, now with over 1.8 gigawatts deployed. In 2015, SunPower introduced the industry’s first fully integrated solar solution for commercial customers, the SunPower® Helix™ system, which can be installed on commercial rooftops more than 2.5 times faster than any commercial solar solution on the market. Now, the SunPower Equinox™ system brings The Power of One™ to homeowners.
“The SunPower Equinox system is a game changer for home solar,” said Howard Wenger, SunPower president, business units. “This powerfully elegant solution produces 70 percent more energy with 70 percent fewer visible parts compared to conventional solar, and we’re backing it by the best combined power and product warranty in the industry. SunPower continues to raise the innovation bar by delivering solutions that make the complex simple, reducing costs, speeding installation, and increasing satisfaction for our customers – while improving quality and aesthetics.”
SunPower reinvents home solar with #SunPowerEquinox, delivering 70% more energy with 70% fewer parts Tweet
Key SunPower Equinox elements and homeowner benefits include:
- High-efficiency SunPower solar panels, including the X22, which delivers greater than 22 percent efficiency and 70 percent more energy than conventional solar panels from the same space over 25 years – along with industry-best aesthetics. Because SunPower panels are more efficient, fewer are required relative to a conventional system with the same output capacity.
- SunPower® microinverters, which are integrated into each solar panel at SunPower’s factory rather than attached by hand on rooftops as with conventional solar systems. SunPower microinverters are specifically designed for SunPower panels, and enable each panel to operate at peak performance independently. SunPower microinverters also allow for system designs that safely conceal wiring behind walls and under roofs, eliminating a need for visible conduit.
- The low-profile, all-black SunPower InvisiMount® mounting system, engineered to be hidden beneath solar panels and hardly seen. It installs on rooftops quickly and easily due to its pre-assembled and intuitively designed components.
- SunPower’s EnergyLink™ ecosystem, a Smart Energy management platform that tracks energy production and consumption in real time. The revolutionary hardware, which is smaller than a shoe box, combines six devices into one elegantly designed SunPower unit. Preconfigured wiring inside expedites both system installation and commissioning. The software offers an intuitive user interface, empowering homeowners to set energy goals and take control of their energy future.
- An industry-leading, 25-year product and power warranty for the entire solar array consisting of SunPower solar panels, the factory-integrated SunPower microinverters, and the SunPower InvisiMount mounting system.
“Conventional home solar design and systems can be complicated and not harmonious, with companies assembling disparate parts − each built in isolation by different manufacturers,” Wenger continued. “For homeowners, this piecemeal approach can result in decreased performance, substandard reliability, low-quality aesthetics, and longer installation times. With 30 years of experience and a vertically integrated business model, SunPower is uniquely positioned to offer a holistic solution like the SunPower Equinox system to consumers.”
SunPower recently launched a consumer awareness campaign called “Demand Better Solar™” reminding homeowners that solar technology differs widely from brand to brand. Not all solar systems deliver the most energy, look as elegant on a roof, or are guaranteed to last as long as promised. However, with the SunPower Equinox system, U.S. homeowners can have the best solar technology available today.
To learn more, visit the latest SunPower blog post titled, “SunPower Equinox™ Makes Home Solar Simple, Powerful, Beautiful” or visit www.sunpower.com/equinox.
As one of the world's most innovative and sustainable energy companies, SunPower Corp. (NASDAQ: SPWR) provides a diverse group of customers with complete solar solutions and services. Residential customers, businesses, governments, schools and utilities around the globe rely on SunPower's more than 30 years of proven experience. From the first flip of the switch, SunPower delivers maximum value and superb performance throughout the long life of every solar system. Headquartered in Silicon Valley, SunPower has dedicated, customer-focused employees in Africa, Asia, Australia, Europe, and North and South America. For more information about how SunPower is changing the way our world is powered, visit www.sunpower.com.
Safe Harbor Statement
This press release contains “forward-looking statements” within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995, including, estimates regarding the future performance and reliability of our products. These forward-looking statements are based on our current assumptions, expectations and beliefs and involve substantial risks and uncertainties that may cause results, performance or achievement to materially differ from those expressed or implied by these forward-looking statements. Factors that could cause or contribute to such differences include, but are not limited to: (1) our ability to obtain additional financing for our projects and our customers; (2) regulatory changes and the availability of economic incentives promoting use of solar energy; and (3) other risks discussed in filings we make with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) from time to time, including our most recent report on Form 10-K, particularly under the heading “Risk Factors.” Copies of these filings are available online from the SEC or on the SEC Filings section of our Investor Relations website at investors.sunpowercorp.com. All forward-looking statements in this press release are based on information currently available to us, and we assume no obligation to update these forward-looking statements in light of new information or future events.
©2016 SunPower Corporation. All Rights Reserved. SUNPOWER, the SUNPOWER logo, DEMAND BETTER SOLAR, HELIX, OASIS, SUNPOWER EQUINOX and THE POWER OF ONE are trademarks or registered trademarks of SunPower Corporation in the U.S. and other countries as well.