Republic Services Advances its Sustainability Commitments
Latest Sustainability Report reflects important milestones toward Company goals and notable recognition for sustainability achievements
DYK @RepublicService saves enough CO2 through its recycling network to equal 16 coal plants? #BluePlanet Tweet
PHOENIX (Aug. 28, 2017) –Republic Services, Inc. (NYSE: RSG) released today its latest Sustainability Report highlighting many of its most recent achievements. The report represents the Company’s commitment to provide regular reporting on the advancement of its sustainability initiatives.
“Our customers count on us for simple solutions, the highest reliability and environmental responsibility,” said Don Slager, president and chief executive officer. “Whether it’s helping a customer turn an idea into a sustainable program in Alabama, converting brownfields in Massachusetts into sources for renewable energy or recovering value from exploration and production waste in Texas, we’re enabling greater resourcefulness across America. We’re proud to lead by example, doing what’s best for our customers and our Blue Planet.”
DYK that @RepublicService recycles more than 1.2M gallons of oil from their collections fleet each year? #BluePlanet Tweet
Republic’s Blue Planet™ sustainability platform encompasses five key elements: Operations, Materials Management, Communities, Safety and People. Highlights from the Sustainability Report include:
- Republic saved approximately 26 million gallons of diesel fuel through its natural gas-powered fleet, recycled more than 1.2 million gallons of oil from its collections fleet, and repurposed 192,000 tires from its retreading program.
- Republic saved 15 million tons of CO2e through its recycling network, which is equivalent to the emissions of 16 coal-fired power plants.
- Republic’s landfill renewable energy projects provide a source of recovered and renewable materials and energy back to the economy. Three landfill projects in metro Atlanta alone generate enough energy to power 14,000 households.
- Republic invested $8.4 million in charitable giving and environmental education in the communities it serves nationwide.
- Republic’s safety performance is 41 percent better than the industry average, based on Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) data. Through its Focus 6 safety program, which strives to prevent the six most common types of serious accidents, Republic reduced accidents by 14 percent.
- Republic’s 15,000 highly skilled drivers are some of the best in the industry, as recognized by the National Waste & Recycling Association (NWRA). Republic has won 75 percent of the NWRA’s “Driver of the Year” awards since 2009 in the large company categories.
- To celebrate its drivers and technicians, Republic held its first ROAD-EO National Championship, during which the Company’s top 40 drivers and 10 techs from across the country showcased their driving and diagnostic skills, and safety acumen.
- Republic’s employee engagement score increased by 6-points to 88 out of 100, validating how strongly employees believe in the Company and consider it a great place to work.
- Republic received notable recognitions by third parties for its sustainability achievements, earning a place on both the Dow Jones Sustainability – North America and World – Indices and the CDP™ (Carbon Disclosure Project) Climate A List and Supplier Climate A List, as well as receiving the “Industry Mover” sustainability award by RobecoSAM. Republic was also named to the elite Forbes American’s Best Large Employers List and to the World’s Most Ethical Companies List by the Ethisphere™ Institute.
As part of its Blue Planet sustainability platform, Republic has set high reaching sustainability goals and continues to make important progress toward each goal:
- Energy: Develop at least two landfill gas-to-energy projects per year through 2018.
- Safety: Reduce OSHA recordable rates by 7 percent year-over-year.
- Recycled Commodities: Add an additional 150,000 tons or more per year of recycling capacity through 2018.
- Fleet: Reduce absolute fleet emissions by 3 percent from direct operational impacts (Scope 1 emissions) by 2018.
To learn more about Republic’s Blue Planet sustainability platform, or to download the latest Sustainability Report, go to: RepublicServices.com/Sustainability.
About Republic Services
Republic Services, Inc. is an industry leader in U.S. recycling and non-hazardous solid waste. Through its subsidiaries, Republic’s collection companies, recycling centers, transfer stations and landfills focus on providing effective solutions to make proper waste disposal effortless for its 14 million customers. We’ll handle it from here.™, the brand’s promise, lets customers know they can count on Republic to provide a superior experience while fostering a sustainable Blue Planet™ for future generations to enjoy a cleaner, safer and healthier world.
#LasVegas tourists leave 8 lbs. of waste when returning home. @RepublicService has a #sustainable solution. Tweet
Jennifer Mitchell Eldridge