For information on the Zika virus and protection against mosquitoes, visit:scjohnson.com/mosquitoes
SC Johnson Public Affairs
SC Johnson Ramps Up Education Efforts During National Mosquito Control Awareness Week
As Summer Sets In, Mosquito Protection and Education is Key to Safeguarding Consumers
PR Newswire, RACINE, Wis., June 27, 2016 —With temperatures rising and more people heading outdoors, the mosquito experts from the SC Johnson Entomology Research Center (ERC) - the world’s largest private, urban entomology research center - offer their extensive resources and educational materials alongside tips to help consumers protect themselves and enjoy summer.
Marking the start of National Mosquito Control Awareness Week (NMCAW), SC Johnson reminds consumers that educational materials and resources are available in 13 languages to help families protect themselves against mosquitoes, particularly those that may carry diseases.
SC Johnson, the world's leading manufacturer of pest control products, continues to use its 60 years of insect expertise to educate consumers on mosquito protection during the summer months. Below are a few tips:
- There are 3500 species of mosquitoes and they are found in every part of the world.
- Only the female mosquito bites—they need your blood for reproduction.
- Mosquitoes can detect you from 120 feet downwind.
- Consumers should use personal repellents on their skin and clothing – but be sure to read the label carefully (some repellents should not be used with rayon, spandex, acetate or other synthetic fabrics).
- Look for personal repellents in pump sprays, aerosols and towelettes that contain active ingredients DEET or Picaridin.
- Wear light-colored, long-sleeved shirts, long pants, socks and hats, and tuck your shirt in and tuck pants into socks.
- If the area where you sleep is exposed to the outdoors, use a bed net and cover baby carriers as well.
- Cover any gaps in windows or doors, and make sure screens on windows and doors are working properly.
- Inside your home, use instant spray action products designed to kill certain species of mosquitoes on contact.
- Eliminate standing water – empty old tires, buckets, toys, bird baths – around the outside of your home where certain species of mosquitoes can breed. Also, dump collected water at least twice a week.
- When using any products indoors or outdoors, be sure to read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions on the label.
For additional information on how consumers can help protect themselves and their families, please go to www.scjohnson.com/mosquitoes.
The 20th anniversary of NMCAW comes at a critical time when mosquito-borne diseases are a top concern for governments and healthcare organizations around the world. The scientists at the ERC are dedicated to helping consumers understand how to best protect themselves against mosquitoes that may carry disease, and helping to create products they can trust for their pest control needs. SC Johnson is the world's largest manufacturer of insect repellent and household insecticides, including OFF!®, Raid®, Autan® and Baygon®.
In addition to educating consumers, SC Johnson is dedicated to providing resources to helping those in the affected areas who are especially vulnerable. In February, the company announced a donation of at least $15 million over the next year to help protect families around the world from mosquito-borne diseases. This donation includes personal insect repellents, spatial repellents and household insecticides and cash contributions to cover logistics, distribution and educational materials.
SC Johnson Global Public Affairs
About SC Johnson
SC Johnson is a family company dedicated to innovative, high-quality products, excellence in the workplace and a long-term commitment to the environment and the communities in which it operates. Based in the USA, the company is one of the world's leading manufacturers of household cleaning products and products for home storage, air care, pest control and shoe care, as well as professional products. It markets such well-known brands as GLADE®, KIWI®, OFF!®, PLEDGE®, RAID®, SCRUBBING BUBBLES®, SHOUT®, WINDEX® and ZIPLOC® in the U.S. and beyond, with brands marketed outside the U.S. including AUTAN®, TANA®, BAMA®, BAYGON®, BRISE®, KABIKILLER®, KLEAR®, MR MUSCLE® and RIDSECT®. The 130-year-old company, which generates $10 billion in sales, employs approximately 13,000 people globally and sells products in virtually every country around the world. www.scjohnson.com
SC Johnson Zika News
Learn more here
Manufacturing, R&D and Mosquitoes - Download here
How tos and insights - Download here
Fact Sheets and Tips
Learn more here