When women lead, everyone progresses.
Menlo Park, Calif., March 8, 2018 - To celebrate International Women’s Day, Facebook is debuting fierce new features to help you spread the love and honor women who have made a positive impact on your life. It’s undeniable that this year, more than ever, women have created a compelling call-to-action in more ways than one.
On Facebook, women have stepped up using the power of community through women-led Facebook Groups, with Fundraisers, or by simply speaking out. All of this has continued to fuel the energy for women’s causes, such as #timesup and #metoo, galvanizing women everywhere. In fact, over the past 3 months, it’s been the younger generation of 18-24 year olds that have been leading the conversation about International Women’s Day - at a rate three times as much as other topics on Facebook!
Here are a few ways that women are using Facebook to impact their communities and support one another this year:
- Facebook Groups enable you to connect around virtually everything, including shared interests, causes, and life events - like having a baby! In fact, among the tens of millions of Groups on Facebook, women are 40% more likely to create groups that become meaningful to people.
- Small businesses are the backbone of our economy and a driving force for progress. On Facebook, women’s business Pages are growing by leaps and bounds. Globally, 43% of small business Pages on Facebook are women-owned, and they’ve increased by 21% since last year. This growth spurt happened despite persistent barriers and because of strong women everywhere!
- Fundraisers on Facebook allow you to set up a dedicated page to tell others about a cause, rally around a fundraising goal and deliver results to your community in need! Women actually create nearly 70% of all fundraisers on Facebook – putting the money where their mouth is! There’s no denying it is a fast and impactful way for people to build momentum for a cause.
To make your ’thank you’ shine and help women continue the march forward, Facebook is debuting more ways to for you to express your support for ladies in your life:
- Give credit where credit’s due! From tennis star, Billie Jean King, to physics genius, Dr. Chien-Shiung Wu, women have worked hard to make an impact, but sometimes they don’t get the credit. Today, make sure to #CreditHer and thank the women who have made a difference in your life! Facebook will be spotlighting women from the past and present on March 8 on facebook.com/facebook.
- Spread the love with a variety of mobile experiences such as thoughtful cards, photo frames, and empowerment themed backgrounds for text posts. Each experience is designed to help you highlight all all the fierce females in your life with your own personal touch! Look for a message in News Feed on March 8, or visit facebook.com/iwd.
- Are you a business owner? Connect with other women leading small businesses through the new “Community Finder” from #SheMeansBusiness, a program created by Facebook to support women owned businesses. Not only can you consult others to grow your business, but you can connect with likeminded women and make lasting friendships! Visit shemeansbusiness.fb.com to learn more.
Here’s to all the women in your life who have contributed to your success, lifted you up, and inspired you and others in your community!