SCORE Publishes Infographic on Small Business Employment
Small businesses struggling to meet hiring needs, according to new survey
Washington, D.C. – Nov. 7, 2017 – SCORE, the nation’s largest network of volunteer, expert business mentors, has published an infographic depicting the current state of small business employment, including where small business owners are finding qualified workers, and the specific challenges they face in filling open positions. More than half of all small business owners found it difficult to fill their hiring needs in the past six months, with more than a quarter stating they were ultimately unable to fill job openings.
This employment-focused infographic accompanies the latest installment of SCORE’s Megaphone of Main Street data report series, which presents original, statistically-significant survey data on the American small business landscape.
Hiring is More Challenging than Ever Before
- 55.5% of the 1,736 small businesses owners surveyed by SCORE said it was more difficult to fill their hiring needs in the past six months than it had been previously.
- 27.3% of all small business owners had job openings they were not able to fill, and 17.5% of micro-business owners had job openings they were not able to fill.
Why Is Hiring so Challenging?
- The greatest concern reported by business owners (51.3%) was an inability to find qualified applicants.
- Next, business owners reported that employees had rising demand for higher salaries (26.2%) and for healthcare benefits that business owners could not provide (21.9%).
Small Business Owners Are Finding Workers through Referrals
- 19% used personal referrals from workers, with 53% of those who used this method successfully finding a new hire. 17% used referrals from other business owners, with 41% subsequently hiring someone.
For more information on small business hiring trends, download The Megaphone of Main Street: Small Business Jobs Report and the first accompanying infographic on small businesses and employment. Stay tuned for our next infographic, “The Impact of the ‘Gig’ Economy,” slated for release in two weeks.
Since 1964, SCORE has helped more than 10 million aspiring entrepreneurs through free small business mentoring sessions and educational services offered in 300 chapters nationwide. In 2016, SCORE’s 10,000 volunteers provided 2.2+ million hours to help create more than 55,000 small businesses and 130,000 full-time, part-time and contractor jobs.
Contact Information: Betsy Dougert | 800-634-0245 | firstname.lastname@example.org
New survey by @SCOREMentors shows small businesses are struggling to meet hiring needs. #smallbiz Tweet