“One Person Closer” Campaign Launches to Inspire & Empower Conversation between Healthcare Professionals and their Patients on Clinical Trial Participation
TransCelerate BioPharma Sponsors Global Campaign Aimed at Addressing Demand for 58 Million Participants for Enrolling Studies on ClinicalTrials.gov
PHILADELPHIA – February 6, 2018 – TransCelerate BioPharma Inc., a non-profit organization dedicated to improving the health of people around the world by simplifying and accelerating research and development of innovative new therapies, has unveiled a new global campaign designed to help increase awareness of the growing need for clinical trial participants. The campaign, called “One Person Closer,” focuses on inspiring healthcare professionals (HCPs) to consider clinical research as a possibility for their patients, incorporate the topic into their daily practices, and have meaningful conversations with patients about opportunities to participate in clinical trials.
One Person Closer is designed to put a human face on research and development by sharing the personal stories of researchers, HCPs and patients who have contributed to clinical research and the development of medical breakthroughs. The photojournalist campaign aims to show doctors, nurses and other HCPs that they can help facilitate research that advances science and that may benefit their patients.
It is estimated that more than 58 million people are needed to meet the demand of all enrolling studies on ClinicalTrials.gov. But, as many as 20 percent of clinical trial investigator sites never enroll a single patient.
“When you look at some of our most pressing medical issues today – from cancer to heart disease to dementia – we need new and better treatments to advance our fight against these diseases,” said Dr. Fabian Sandoval, CEO of Emerson Clinical Research Institute. “Clinical trials are the only path to new medicines, and we must work together to help people understand how to participate in them where appropriate.”
Patients often want to speak with a trusted advisor – such as their regular HCP - before determining if enrolling in a clinical trial is right for them. In fact, many people will not consider participating in clinical trials without the support of their HCPs. Despite this, clinical trials are often not a topic of conversation between HCPs and patients outside of the research setting.
“Whether it's patients, physicians, biopharma companies or regulators, we all want new medicines that work and are supported with good data,” said Joseph Kim, senior advisor of clinical innovation at Eli Lilly and Company and Clinical Research Awareness Campaign lead for TransCelerate's Clinical Research Awareness initiative. “However, it can take way too long to execute research, in large part because not enough people are participating in clinical trials or aware of them. Physicains, nurses and other HCPs are important intermediaries here who can help us overcome this critical challenge by incorporating the topic of research into their daily practice.”
The One Person Closer campaign includes video vignettes of 12 researchers, patient advocates and thought leaders sharing their stories. Participants work, or have worked, for industry leading research organizations, hospitals and charities involved in the research process:
Physicians and Researchers
- Alice Tsang Shaw MD, PhD, Thoracic Oncologist at the Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center
- John P Clancy, MD, Pediatric Pulmonologist at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital
- Brian Druker, MD, Physician-Scientist at Oregon Health and Science University
- Tyler Jacks, PhD, Professor of Biology at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, an HHMI investigator, and Director of the David H. Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research
- Moshe Talpaz, MD, physician and Professor of Medicine and Associative Division Chief for Hematology and Hematologic Malignancies at the University of Michigan Cancer Center
- Sabine Hadida, PhD, Senior Director of the Chemistry Department at Vertex Pharma
- Don Culbertson, PA, Physician Assistant at the Marfa Country Clinic
- Tom Marsilje, MD, PhD, Oncology researcher, Cancer patient and patient advocate (Tom died in November 2017)
Patients and Patient Advocates
- Doug Jensen, Chronic Myeloid Leukemia patient
- Linnea Olson, Non-small cell lung cancer patient and patient advocate
- Kylie Meyer, Cystic Fibrosis patient
- Robert Beall, PhD, former President and CEO of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
Learn More about the Campaign
One Person Closer is a campaign developed by TransCelerate BioPharma, Inc. a non-profit industry association that brings together R&D leaders who are passionate about developing solutions to address common, complex challenges in the pharmaceutical industry.
This campaign is dedicated to improving awareness of, and conversation about, clinical trials and the necessary role of clinical trial participation in advancing medicine. The campaign started with a letter published in STAT encouraging HCPs to add their name to a list of those pledging to spread knowledge about clinical trial participation and help the world get One Person Closer to new medicines.
Join the #OnePersonCloser Chat on Feb. 21 from 11-12pm ET with Dr. Sandoval #OnePersonCloser Tweet#OnePersonCloser Tweets
- Qualified HCPs, please take the One Person Closer SERMO Poll, “Discussing Clinical Trials with Patients” on February 7, 2:00-3:00pm EST. SERMO is conducting the poll to gain a better understanding of how to best incorporate the topic of clinical trial participation into medical practice and support meaningful conversations about clinical research www.sermo.com
- Qualified HCPs, please participate in the One Person Closer Figure 1 Forum, February 20, 5:00-6:00pm EST, with our host Dr. Fabian Sandoval, CEO of Emerson Clinical Research Institute cases.figure1.com/trials
- Join the One Person Closer Tweet Chat, February 21, 11:00am-12:00pm EST, moderated by Dr. Sandoval. Visit www.twitter.com and type the hashtag #onepersoncloserchat
- Visit us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/onepersoncloser
- Follow One Person Closer on Twitter at https://twitter.com/onepersoncloser
About TransCelerate BioPharma Inc.
TransCelerate BioPharma Inc. is a non-profit organization dedicated to improving the health of people around the world by simplifying and accelerating the research and development (R&D) of innovative new therapies. The organizations’ mission is to collaborate across the global biopharmaceutical R&D community to identify, prioritize, design and facilitate implementation of solutions designed to drive the efficient, effective and high-quality delivery of new medicines. TransCelerate evolved from conversations at various forums for executive R&D leadership to discuss current issues facing the industry, and examine solutions for addressing common challenges. The founding member companies are AbbVie, AstraZeneca, Boehringer Ingelheim, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Eli Lilly and Company, GlaxoSmithKline, Johnson & Johnson, Pfizer, the Roche Group, and Sanofi. Additional members that have joined since the inception of TransCelerate include Allergan, Inc., Amgen, Astellas Pharma Inc., EMD Serono, Inc. (a subsidiary of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany), Merck & Co., Inc., Novartis International AG, Novo Nordisk, Shionogi & Co., Ltd. and UCB.
Membership in TransCelerate is open to pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies with Research & Development operations. Executive offices are located in the greater Philadelphia, PA area. For more information, please visit http://www.transceleratebiopharmainc.com.
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/transcelerate
Reach us on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/transcelerate-biopharma-inc-
Nicole Pariser, Senior Vice President, RF Bloom, email@example.com, +1 646.757.6119