JOHNSON’S®, The Brand Trusted By Pediatricians And Parents Worldwide, Now Gentler Than Ever
Baby Care Icon Announces Biggest Reinvention in its 124-Year History
Skillman, N.J. (August 1, 2018) – JOHNSON’S ® announced an end-to-end overhaul of the world’s most beloved baby washes, lotions and haircare products. To ensure that the iconic brand continues to meet the demands of parents around the globe, JOHNSON’S ® has made changes that include fewer ingredients, ergonomic new packaging, and a greener manufacturing footprint. “Nothing was sacred, but every decision was purposeful,” says Deeptha Khanna, President of Global Baby Care. “The result is a gentler, simpler product experience that’s still 100 percent JOHNSON’S ®, honoring our 124-year history while evolving for modern parents’ preferences.”
The updated product lineup will debut in the United States, China, Canada and India this August and eventually be rolled out everywhere JOHNSON’S ® is sold. “For this relaunch, we truly put parents at the center – listening to more than 26,000 parents from around the world – and paired their feedback with the latest science to improve our products inside and out,” says Sarita T. Finnie, Senior Director, U.S. Baby Care.
Key changes include:
- More naturally derived ingredients. 96% of the ingredients in leading products are now naturally derived1. For example, JOHNSON’S® replaced safe ingredients parents did not prefer with naturally derived ingredients like soybean or coconut oil.
- Fewer ingredients overall… The portfolio of ingredients was reduced by more than 50%, and all products are free of parabens, phthalates, formaldehyde-releasing preservatives, and sulfates. Because parents were clear that they no longer want dyes in their products, dyes were also removed from leading products. Even JOHNSON’S ® Baby Shampoo—one of the world’s most recognizable consumer products—is no longer its signature golden hue, but instead a clear formula packaged in a translucent yellow bottle.
- … with full transparency for parent’s peace of mind. JOHNSON’S ® wants parents to have all the facts so they can feel confident about what they are putting on their babies’ delicate skin. JOHNSON’S ® will now share 100% of ingredients, including fragrance. The brand kept fragrance in the new formulas because of the clinically-proven benefits to infant development and parent-child bonding—but avoided both known fragrance allergens and an expanding list of potential fragrance allergens.
- Improved experience. Parents may notice washes with creamier lather, shampoos that rinse quickly, improved conditioning across the haircare range and light, fast absorbing lotions with no unwanted residues left behind on skin.
- Parent-friendly packaging. One major improvement anyone who has ever bathed a slippery newborn can appreciate: the new products come in more ergonomic bottles, featuring 50% more pumps for convenient, one-handed use. This allows parents to keep their other hand – and their attention – on baby.
- Gentler on the environment. JOHNSON’S ® prioritized using ingredients that are not harmful to aquatic life and ecosystems, using a patented system to formulate products that are non-toxic, biodegradable, and don’t bioaccumulate in the environment. Additionally, more efficient processes will reduce water usage at owned manufacturing sites by about 20%.
- Simplified supply chain: Simpler and consistent manufacturing, packaging, and formulations enable manufacturing flexibility across geographies to launch new products faster in the future.
- A new addition to the JOHNSON’S ® family. Since newborns experience their world through touch, JOHNSON'S ® new CottonTouch™ wash and lotion are blended with real cotton. The products enhance a parent’s gentle touch and improve the bonding experience with baby.
“We will never stop raising the bar—both when it comes to advancing the science of baby skin care and in continuously evolving to meet the needs of every generation of parents,” said Finnie.
About JOHNSON’S ®
For nearly 125 years, JOHNSON’S ® mission has been to create the gentlest baby products in the world. That’s why we’ve continuously advanced our science and listened to parents around the world to reformulate and improve our products inside and out. Our standard of gentle guides every choice we make – for parents, their babies and the world. Because gentle is something the world can never have enough of. For more, visit www.JohnsonsBaby.com; Instagram; Facebook; Twitter.
For more information:
Johnson & Johnson Consumer Inc: Kayce Thomas, email@example.com
1 Based on average cumulative volume of ingredients using ISO / DIS 16128 (water included)
We improved everything. Because gentle means everything. Discover the NEW Johnson’s® Improved Baby Products Inside & Out @johnsonsbaby Tweet