Barbie™ Celebrates 60 Years as a Model of Empowerment for Girls
Brand Furthers Dream Gap Project Commitment, names Olympic Ice Dancer Tessa Virtue as Dream Gap Ambassador and Honours Global Lineup of Role Models
Toronto, ON, March 8, 2019 – Today, Mattel, Inc. (NASDAQ: MAT) kicks off worldwide celebrations to mark the 60th anniversary of Barbie, the number one fashion doll in the world designed to inspire the limitless potential in every girl.
In its 60th year, the brand is honouring the largest lineup of global female role models and taking the next step to close the Dream Gap by donating to like-minded organizations aimed at leveling the playing field for girls through the Mattel Children’s Foundation.
“Research* has shown that starting at age five, girls start doubting their potential, this is the Dream Gap,” says Lisa Perry, Brand Manager, Mattel Canada Inc. “And as the original girl empowerment brand we are working to help close it.”
This year, Olympic champion Tessa Virtue joins the ranks of inspirational women globally who are honoured with a one-of-a-kind doll created in their likeness as part of the Barbie Shero Dolls collection. Tessa also takes on the role of Dream Gap Ambassador where she’ll show girls that through hard work, dedication and focus you can make any dream a reality.
Barbie aims to unlock girls’ limitless potential with Dream Gap Project #MoreRoleModels https://youtu.be/FZ8Sgkq74XA Tweet
“I remember playing with Barbie as a young girl and imagining her as a doctor, an astronaut, a businesswoman and of course an athlete,” says Tessa Virtue. “My mom always joked I kept my dolls on a rigorous schedule, toting them around and expecting them to participate in all of my adventures (dressed accordingly, of course). But the truth is, it allowed me to explore the world around me and live out my dreams at an early age. I hope that I can inspire the next generation of girls to dream big, follow their passions, and understand their limitless potential.”
In 2019, six iconic career dolls are relaunching in honour of Barbie’s diamond anniversary. These dolls include a pilot, news anchor, astronaut, firefighter, athlete and presidential candidate. Barbie will also launch its Proudly Pink Barbie dolls which pays homage to Barbie’s heritage with stunning design to celebrate 60 years of fashion.
“For 60 years, Barbie has championed girls, inspired generations to believe through make believe and showed them that they have choices. With more than 200 careers, six runs for president and a trip to the moon before Neil Armstrong, Barbie continues to evolve to be a modern, relevant role model for all ages,” said Lisa McKnight, General Manager and Senior Vice President, Barbie. “The Barbie brand believes girls should never know a world, job, or dream, women haven’t conquered. Through our global platform, we are igniting a movement to help close the Dream Gap and further establish Barbie as the ultimate girl empowerment brand.”
The brand is celebrating and inspiring girls around the world in its 60th year by:
- CELEBRATING ROLE MODELS TO INSPIRE THE NEXT GENERATION by shining a light on women who are breaking boundaries in a variety of diverse career fields.
- Barbie will honour more than 20 women across multiple countries and continents ranging from 19 to 85 years old and speak 14 languages.
- This is the largest and most diverse lineup of women honored by Barbie to date and a continuation of the “Shero” program launched in 2015.
- These women are gifted a one-of-a-kind doll made in their likeness, the highest honour from the Barbie brand.
- In Canada, Tessa Virtue is honoured for her role in helping girls across the country believe they can be anything.
- SUPPORT THE BARBIE DREAM GAP PROJECT
- Join @barbie to help close the Dream Gap by creating a story with Barbie’s social lens, inspired by a girl in your life. Share by using #Barbie60 #YouCanBeAnything.
- This initiative builds on theBarbie Dream Gap Project announced last year, the brand’s ongoing global initiative to raise awareness around limiting factors that prevent girls from reaching their full potential.
- LEVERAGING BARBIE AS A ROLE MODEL and connecting with fans through inspiring content that is purpose-driven at the core, while entertaining and fun.
- As the #1 girls brand on YouTube, Barbie has a powerful platform to showcase teachable moments and is launching a new vlog on March 7 called “Finding Your Voice.”
- For the month of March, Barbie Vlogger joins YouTube Kids as an editor with a curated playlist of inspiring videos. Barbie Vlogger was given this honour because she has become a top girl influencer on YouTube with over 108 million views.
- Barbie has engaged mentors that align with four dolls launching in fall 2019 as part of a global partnership with National Geographic that will feature career dolls and playsets highlighting occupations underrepresented by women. These include an astrophysicist, a wildlife conservationist, a polar marine biologist and a wildlife photojournalist. These mentors will each host a ‘day-in-the-life’ experience with young girls across Canada.
- SHAPING CANADA’S FUTURE, TOGETHER with partners who have joined Barbie to help close the Dream Gap and inspire the next generation of girls to dream big.
The brand is collaborating with partners across multiple categories including apparel, publishing, food, beauty, travel and more to celebrate the milestone.
- Ardene – The Canadian retailer debuts its newest Barbie collaboration, which is available in stores.
- da lish Cosmetics – Canadian beauty brand has collaborated with Barbie to create limited edition three-piece kit to celebrate Barbie’s 60th anniversary.
- Nadège Patisserie – The Toronto-based patisserie will have a limited-edition Barbie cake and macaron available for purchase between March 7 and March 25.
- Hudson’s Bay Company – Canada’s iconic department store is creating an exclusive collection of Barbie-inspired clothing and jewelry in partnership with four Canadian designers: Narces, Hilary MacMIllan, Hayley Elsaesser and Biko.
- Toys”R”Us Canada – Canada’s ultimate toy store and destination for fun is featuring 60 Role Models in-store and online over the course of 60 weeks.
- Walmart Canada – Canada’s destination for everyday low prices will be hosting Barbie’s 60th Anniversary Celebration Events at select locations across Canada.
- CN Tower – Canada’s tallest building hosts a Barbie Play Zone throughout March Break starting Saturday, March 9, 2019.
- Canada Learning Code – Barbie will be an official sponsor of Girls Learning Code Day on May 11, 2019.
- Let’s Talk Science – This national, not for profit focused on science learning is supporting Dream Gap research in Canada.
- STEM Camp – STEM Camp – Barbie and STEM Camp will partner with a campaign to foster girl’s interest in the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM).
*Study conducted by researchers at New York University, the University of Illinois and Princeton University.
Mattel is a leading global children’s entertainment company that specializes in design and production of quality toys and consumer products. We create innovative products and experiences that inspire, entertain and develop children through play. We engage consumers through our portfolio of iconic franchises, including Barbie®, Hot Wheels®, American Girl®, Fisher-Price®, Thomas & Friends® and Mega®, as well as other popular brands that we own or license in partnership with global entertainment companies. Our offerings include film and television content, gaming, music and live events. We operate in 40 locations and sell products in more than 150 countries in collaboration with the world’s leading retail and technology companies. Since its founding in 1945, Mattel is proud to be a trusted partner in exploring the wonder of childhood and empowering kids to reach their full potential. Visit us online at www.mattel.com.