Telemundo Launches Hazte Contar to Unleash U.S. Hispanics’ Growing Influence through the 2020 Census and Presidential Elections
Multi-year Civic Engagement Campaign Will Leverage Telemundo’s Multiplatform Portfolio to Increase Civic Participation from the Latino Community and Ensure an Accurate Representation in the Upcoming Census
Telemundo Partners with Over 50 National and Local Hispanic Organizations Including UnidosUS, Hispanic Federation, NALEO Educational Fund, Voto Latino, League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC) and National Hispanic Association of Hispanic Journalists (NAHJ) to Inform, Connect, Engage and Mobilize Millions of Latinos Across the Country
Miami – March 28, 2019 – NBCUniversal Telemundo Enterprises, the leading media company serving Hispanics, announced Hazte Contar (Be Counted), a robust civic engagement campaign under the umbrella of its award-winning corporate social responsibility platform “El Poder En Ti” (The Power in You). The multi-year campaign will tap into Telemundo’s fast-growing, multiplatform portfolio and community partnerships to unleash the Hispanic community’s vast and growing influence in the U.S. through greater civic participation in the 2020 Census and upcoming Presidential elections.
“We are thrilled to launch Hazte Contar, the most robust and rigorous initiative in the U.S. designed to drive engagement among U.S. Hispanics and raise awareness about the importance of the 2020 Census, the voting process and civic involvement,” said Cesar Conde, Chairman, NBCUniversal Telemundo Enterprises and NBCUniversal International Group. “Social and community impact has always been central to Telemundo’s values. It is a privilege to have the trust and credibility of our viewers, and this campaign will help to ensure Hispanics are engaged and informed. The future of America is overwhelmingly Latino and Telemundo is committed to lead this effort and underscore the role of Hispanics in the future of our nation.”
The Hazte Contar campaign will inform the Latino community about the importance of participating in the Census and will be on hand to offer assistance to viewers, address questions and encourage completion of Census forms for this once in a decade opportunity.
NBCUniversal Telemundo Enterprises launches Hazte Contar to inform the Latino community about the importance of participating in the 2020 Census. #HazteContar www.HazteContar.comTweet
Hazte Contar will leverage Telemundo’s national reach and diverse portfolio of properties including the national network, 30 stations, cable and digital platforms, grassroots and regional presence through comprehensive outreach including:
- HAZTE CONTAR COMMUNITY TOUR: Building on the success of Telemundo’s recent cross-country Community Empowerment Tour to inform and provide resources to consumers on opportunities to register to vote, the Hazte Contar campaign will feature an expansive tour across the country visiting major Hispanic markets such as New York, Los Angeles, Miami, Chicago, Orlando, Houston, Dallas, Phoenix, Denver and El Paso. Beginning in 2019 through 2020, the cross-country tour will leverage partner organizations’ work to increase Census and voter participation among Latinos. The tour will incorporate pop-up location sites where community members can visit and receive accurate information from experts on the benefits of participating in the Census. Experts will also be available to provide guidance and answer questions to guarantee that the Hispanic community participates without hesitation or concerns. The Hazte Contar tour will ensure Latinos across the country have the access and information to make their voice heard.
- COMMUNITY PARTNERSHIPS: Telemundo will partner with over 50 National and local Hispanic organizations including UnidosUS, Hispanic Federation, NALEO Educational Fund, Voto Latino, League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC) and the National Hispanic Association of Hispanic Journalists (NAHJ) to expand its reach to millions of US Hispanics and provide the resources necessary to educate and empower the community on the importance of making their voices heard.
- SPECIAL SEGMENTS: Telemundo will launch a series of ongoing special segments focused on all-things Census across network shows including “Un Nuevo Día” and “Al Rojo Vivo.” Noticias Telemundo special l segments will incorporate a variety of national experts and trusted voices across “Noticias Telemundo,” “Noticias Telemundo Fin de Semana,” “Noticias Telemundo Mediodía” and “Enfoque con José Díaz-Balart” to educate viewers on the importance of being involved and to inform all audiences on how their voices can be heard and counted during this critically important process.
- PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENTS: Leading up to the 2020 Census, Telemundo will roll out a series of public service announcements featuring top on-air talent including José Díaz-Balart, María Celeste Arrarás, Julio Vaqueiro, Vanessa Hauc, Adamari López, Jorge Bernal, Don Francisco, and Rashel Diaz, among others, to leverage their connection with the community and help combat many of the key reasons Latinos are hesitant to participate in the 2020 Census.
- DIGITAL RESOURCES: Key resources and information on Census and Voter Registration will be available on the specialized website, www. HazteContar.com, in English and Spanish, including partner resources and specific information based on an individual’s locations. This includes information on closest Census assistance locations, polling locations, and voter information tools. Digital content and up-to-date material will continuously be featured on Telemundo.com, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. Viewers can also follow the campaign on social media using the hashtag #HazteContar.
- CANDIDATE FORUMS: Telemundo will host election candidate forums across its stations and affiliates, including the first Spanish-language Democratic presidential debate in partnership with NBC News and MSNBC in June.
The U.S. Census affects the lives of all Americans by determining funding for communities, representation in Congress, and informing critical community budget and financial decisions. As the nation’s second largest population group and one of its fastest growing communities, Latinos account for more than one of every six U.S. residents, and one of every four of the country’s population under 18. The 2020 Census will help determine how more than $700 billion in federal government resources will be distributed each year for the next decade to states and localities.
For more information and key resources, visit www.HazteContar.com.
About NBCUniversal Telemundo Enterprises
NBCUniversal Telemundo Enterprises is a world-class media company leading the industry in the production and distribution of high-quality, Spanish-language content to U.S. Hispanics and audiences around the world. This fast-growing multiplatform portfolio is comprised of the Telemundo Network and Station Group, Telemundo Deportes, Telemundo Global Studios, Universo, and a Digital Enterprises & Emerging Business unit. Telemundo Network features original Spanish-language entertainment, news and sports content reaching 94% of U.S. Hispanic TV households in 210 markets through 30 local stations, 51 affiliates and its national feed. Telemundo also owns WKAQ, a television station that serves viewers in Puerto Rico. Telemundo Deportes is the designated Spanish-language home of two of the world’s most popular sporting events: FIFA World Cup™ through 2026 and the Summer Olympic Games through 2032. Telemundo Global Studios is the company’s domestic and international scripted production unit including Telemundo Studios, Telemundo International Studios, Telemundo International, as well as all of the company’s co-production partnerships. As the #1 media company reaching Hispanics and millennials online, the Digital Enterprises & Emerging Business unit distributes original content across multiple platforms, maximizing its exclusive partnerships with properties such as BuzzFeed, Vox and Snapchat. Through Telemundo Internacional, the largest U.S.-based distributor of Spanish-language content in the world and Universo, the fastest growing Hispanic entertainment cable network, the company reflects the diverse lifestyle, cultural experience and language of its expanding audience. NBCUniversal Telemundo Enterprises is a division of NBCUniversal, a subsidiary of Comcast Corporation.
NBCUniversal Telemundo Enterprises