The Art Institutes Passion for Fashion Competition National Judging to Take Place in New York City
High School Fashionistas Put to the Test
[NEW YORK, NY May 15, 2013] – This week a panel of fashion industry professionals will descend upon New York City to determine the national winners in The Art Institutes Passion for Fashion Competition. The judges will evaluate the “evening wear” fashion design concepts and fashion trend concept entries of local winners from each Art Institutes school across North America, who were selected from the nearly 400 entries received into the competition, based on originality, feasibility and execution.
The panel of judges for The Art Institutes Passion for Fashion Competition 2013 includes:
- Suede, Founder of SUEDEsays™, designer and contestant on “Project Runway All Stars” Season 2 and “Project Runway” Season 5.
- R. Scott French, Co-Founder and Editor-in-Chief of TheFashionList.com, CFDA Menswear Designer, and Fashion Instructor for The Art Institute of New York City.
- Patty Hughes, a Lifestyle Television personality who has appeared on "The Rachael Ray Show" and was recently appointed Fashion Editor of Jamque magazine.
- Warren Satchel, a director of buying and merchandising who has worked with brands such as GAP Europe, Kenneth Cole, Indigo and Armani Exchange.
- Elise Goldberg Santiago, a fashion accessories design consultant who works for brands such as Cole Haan, Coach and Limited Brands and is a contributing writer for TheFashionList.com.
- Kelly Powers, a design consultant at K Powers Designs who has worked as a design director for Nine West, Olivet Luggage and Etienne Aigner. Past experience includes work with Ralph Lauren, Vans, and Tommy Hilfiger.
The grand prize winner in each category will earn a half-tuition scholarship to study (i) Fashion Design or (ii) Fashion Marketing, Fashion Merchandising or Fashion Retail Management at The Art Institutes school the entrant represents in the competition. In addition, the grand prize winner in each category will receive a VIP trip to New York City including a “meet and greet” at Seventeen magazine’s New York City offices, lunch with a Seventeen Style Pro, a $500 shopping spree at DKNY with the Style Pro, and a $500 gift card to shop anywhere in the Big Apple.
“Year after year we see a higher caliber of entries submitted into The Art Institutes Passion for Fashion Competition,” said John Pufahl, Vice President of Academic Affairs for The Art Institutes. “These high school seniors who have entered the competition all have a true calling to work in the fashion industry and demonstrate their enthusiasm, dedication and knowledge of the industry through their entries,” Pufahl said.
For more information on The Art Institutes Passion for Fashion Competition and to view the official rules, visit http://www.aicompetitions.com/fashion.
The Art Institutes (www.artinstitutes.edu) is a system of more than 50 schools located throughout North America. The Art Institutes schools provide an important source for design, media arts, fashion and culinary professionals. Several institutions included in The Art Institutes system are campuses of South University or Argosy University. OH Registration # 04-01-1698B; AC0165, AC0080; Licensed by the Florida Commission for Independent Education, License No. 1287, 3427, 3110, 2581. Since The Art Institutes is comprised of several institutions, see aiprograms.info for program duration, tuition, fees, and other costs, median debt, federal salary data, alumni success, and other important info.