DIET WATER, MELTED ICE CREAM, BLOWFISH AMONG TOP 10 MOST UNUSUAL ROOM SERVICE REQUESTS, HOTELS.COM REPORTS
Study also reveals hotels are expanding in-room offerings to include private concerts and $300 ice cream sundaes
DALLAS (June 6, 2023) -- Today Hotels.com® reveals its inaugural Room Service Report which finds that demand for the popular amenity is on the rise according to 45% of U.S. hotels1. The report surveyed hotel partners around the world to reveal what's "in" when dining in from the trendiest to the most eccentric orders, as well as hotels with over-the-top room service options like a $1600 burger and a $300 ice cream sundae. Top findings from the study include:
The weird side of room service
- Hotels revealed their most unusual guest requests, including "diet" water, melted ice cream, blowfish and a raw fish caught by a traveler who wanted it cooked to order.
- Top properties are pushing the boundaries of room service to go beyond food, offering in-room concerts and even a personal Lego® butler.
Burgers in bed
- Burgers are the most popular room service order not just in the U.S. (49% of U.S. responses) but also globally, beating out pizza, club sandwiches, tacos and fries.
- While diners indulge in sushi rolls and lobster tails at restaurants, 43% of U.S. hotels surveyed say guests prefer more casual cuisine behind closed doors, ala burgers in bed.
Reveling in room service
- Over a quarter (27%) of U.S. hotels said their guests will go all-out while ordering in, spending on average more than $100 for room service.
- Hotels said steak and champagne are the most expensive items on their room service menus.
How to get free room service
Starting June 12, Hotels.com is offering guests nationwide a chance to win $100 toward an indulgent room service experience this summer. Enter by July 12 at Hotels.com/getroomservice to take advantage of this tempting offer and for full terms.2
"Room service holds a special place in the hearts of hotel guests," said Melanie Fish, spokesperson for Hotels.com. "Whether it's a treat-yourself moment or must-have after a long day of sightseeing, there's a certain satisfaction in having someone else foot the bill. That's why we're covering up to $30,000 in room service bills this summer, so guests can go all-in on their favorite in-room experience. And a tip for Hotels.com gold and silver rewards members – you can find VIP properties where food and beverage credit is always on the menu in the app."
Notes to the Editor:
Visual assets: Download images and BROLL here. (photo credit: Hotels.com)
The 10 most unusual room service requests:
- Diet water
- Melted ice cream
- Boiled bottled water
- A cooked fish that the guest brought with them
- Cockle popcorn
- No-egg-white omelet
- Rice bowl for a dog
- Eggless eggs in hell (shakshuka)
Top properties on the Hotels.com app with out-of-the-ordinary room service experiences:
- The Milestone Hotel in London, U.K. – Treat yourself to a world class musical performance with an in-room concert from the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. Suites from $1,500 per night and orchestra quoted on an individual basis.
- Post Oak Hotel in Houston, U.S. – Why not get a taste of the ultimate hotel burger: The Post Oak Hotel serves "The Black Gold Burger," which has 16 ounces of Wagyu beef, seared foie gras, and black truffle in a caviar-infused black and 24K gold brioche bun. It will only set you back a whopping $1,600! Rooms from $540 per night.
- Ashford Castle in Co. Mayo, Ireland – Room service isn't just for grown-ups at Ashford Castle. Travelers can request a Lego butler and pick from a selection of sets, to be delivered on a silver tray to your room. Rooms from $856 per night with a €40 local currency fee for the Lego butler.
- Park Lane New York in New York City, U.S. – What's better than on-demand caviar on Billionaire's Row in the city? Dial "5" to make a request on the hotel's Caviar Hotline. Rooms from $373 per night, and caviar pricing varies.
- InterContinental Bora Bora Resort and Thalasso Spa in Bora Bora, French Polynesia – Here, it's not just about what is being delivered to your door … it's about how it's being delivered. You can request an exquisite meal for two to be delivered to the deck of your overwater villa in a traditional outrigger canoe. Villas from $1,424 per night.
- The Plaza Hotel in New York City, U.S. – This hotel is home to one of the most famous room service orders: the Home Alone sundae, featuring 16 scoops of ice cream and layers of toppings for $300. Rooms from $761 per night.
- Four Seasons in Chicago, U.S. – Here, the Ice Cream Man makes in-room ice cream-delivery dreams possible for the young and young-at-heart. Rooms from $570 per night.
- Kylin Villa Resort Jeju, South Korea – A room service experience where the camera eats first: This resort sets room service orders on a picturesque floating display in villas with private pools. Rooms from $170 per night.
- DogHouse Columbus Hotel in Columbus, U.S. – This dual-purpose brewery and hotel features in-room beer taps and a mini fridge in the bathroom stocked with "shower beer." Rooms from $190 per night.
1 Methodology: This survey was conducted online from April 5-23, 2023, among 473 hotels in the U.S., U.K., France, Canada, Mexico, South Korea, Japan, Norway, Sweden and Denmark, amongst hotels currently offering in-room dining.
2 NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Legal residents of the US at least 18+ years old. Ends July 12, 2023. To enter and for Official Rules, including odds, and prize descriptions visit https://www.hotels.com/lp/b/roomservice. Void where prohibited. Sponsor: Hotels.com
About Hotels.com® (or Hotels.com™)
Hotels.com makes it easy to find your perfect somewhere with hundreds of thousands of places to stay around the world. So, whether you're looking for value in Vegas, treehouses in Thailand or villas with views, it's all just a click away. Booking just got smarter, too. With over 25 million real guest reviews and an app so easy to use that it's been downloaded 70 million times, you can be sure to find the perfect place for you.
© 2023 Hotels.com, LP, an Expedia Group company. All rights reserved. Hotels.com and the Hotels.com logo are trademarks of Hotels.com, LP. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners. CST# 2083949-50
Follow Hotels.com on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, and Twitter.