TRIPADVISOR ANNOUNCES 2012 TRAVEL TRENDS FORECAST
Annual Survey Reveals Beach Breaks Top Vacation Choice for 2012; Cultural Trips and Cruises Surge in Popularity
Travel Spending to Increase for Nearly One-Third of U.S. Travelers
NEWTON, Mass. — November 8, 2011 /PRNewswire/ — TripAdvisor®, the world’s largest travel site*, today announced the results of its annual travel trends survey of more than 2,700 U.S. travelers. Despite the current economic climate, 31 percent anticipate they will spend more on leisure travel next year, while 49 percent expect to spend the same amount as they did in 2011.
Seventy-nine percent of respondents plan to spend a minimum of $3,000 on vacations in the coming year, 57 percent will pay out at least $5,000 and 21 percent will invest $10,000 or more on 2012 leisure travel.
Ninety percent of respondents are planning to take two or more leisure trips next year, and 24 percent are planning five or more getaways.
Beach Bums and Culture Vultures: Top Trip Picks Travelers are Planning for 2012
- Beach trip – 44%
- Cultural trip (e.g., visiting museums or historic sites) – 42%
- Road trip – 40%
- City trip – 36%
- Guys or girlfriends getaway – 24%
Trip-o-Meter: Culture, Cruising and Castaway Experiences on the Rise in 2012
|Took in 2011||Planning to take in 2012|
|Amusement/theme park trips||14%||12%|
The Hotspot List: Destinations in Americans’ Sights
- Sixty-eight percent plan to travel outside the U.S. in 2012 and among these globetrotters, 54 percent will visit Europe, 52 percent will go to a North American destination outside the U.S. (such as Canada or Mexico), and 12 percent will travel to Asia.
- The top three international cities U.S. travelers plan to visit are Paris, London and Rome.
- The top three U.S. cities for 2012 are New York City, Las Vegas and San Francisco.
Lodging Barometer: Travelers’ Accommodation Picks for 2012
|Stayed in 2011||Planning to stay in 2012|
|Staying with friends/family||45%||43%|
Mobile Devices: A “Go To” Travel Resource in 2012
- 44 percent of U.S. travelers plan on using their mobile phone or smartphone more as a travel resource during trips in 2012.
- 47 percent expect to use their mobile device for their travel needs at their destination.
- 37 percent will use a mobile device for restaurants research, 27 percent will use one for attractions research, and 26 percent will use one for accommodations research.
- 31 percent plan to use travel apps on their mobile device or smartphone in 2012.
- 16 percent plan to use travel apps on their tablet devices.
Top Eco-friendly Travel Actions for 2012
- Participating in a hotel’s linen or towel re-use program – 71%
- Switching off the air-conditioning or heat when leaving the hotel room – 51%
- Select a hotel specifically for its “green” or environmentally-conscious credentials – 12%
“U.S. travelers will be spreading their wings far and wide in 2012, with 68 percent planning international trips,” said Karen Drake, senior director of communications for TripAdvisor. “Sun and sand remain an enduringly popular choice, but the coming year will also see a renewed interest in cultural trips, as Americans seek to combine precious downtime with enriching experiences.”
TripAdvisor® is the world’s largest travel site, enabling travelers to plan and have the perfect trip. TripAdvisor offers trusted advice from real travelers and a wide variety of travel choices and planning features (including Flights search, TripAdvisor Mobile and Instant Personalization) with seamless links to booking tools.
TripAdvisor® Media Group, operated by TripAdvisor LLC, attracts more than 65 million unique monthly visitors* across 19 popular travel brands**. TripAdvisor-branded sites make up the largest travel community in the world, with more than 50 million unique monthly visitors***, 20 million members, and over 50 million reviews and opinions. The sites operate in 30 countries worldwide****, including China under daodao.com. TripAdvisor also operates TripAdvisor for Business, a dedicated division that provides the tourism industry access to TripAdvisor’s millions of monthly visitors. The division includes Business Listings, which allows hoteliers to connect directly to millions of researching travelers, and Vacation Rentals, which helps property managers and individual home owners list their properties and showcase hotel alternatives.
TripAdvisor Media Group websites have been recognized as top travel resources in 2010 by Condé Nast Traveller, Good Housekeeping, TIME magazine and Travel + Leisure.
TripAdvisor Media Group generated $486 million in revenue in 2010. TripAdvisor and the sites comprising the TripAdvisor Media Group are operating companies of Expedia, Inc. (NASDAQ: EXPE).
TripAdvisor and the TripAdvisor logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of TripAdvisor LLC in the U.S. and/or other countries. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
©2011 TripAdvisor LLC. All rights reserved.
*Source: comScore Media Metrix for TripAdvisor Media Group Sites, Worldwide, August 2011
** In addition to TripAdvisor, The TripAdvisor Media Group of websites includes: www.airfarewatchdog.com, www.bookingbuddy.com, www.cruisecritic.com, www.everytrail.com, www.familyvacationcritic.com, www.flipkey.com, www.holidaylettings.co.uk, www.holidaywatchdog.com, www.independenttraveler.com, www.onetime.com, www.seatguru.com, www.sniqueaway.com, www.smartertravel.com, www.travel-library.com, www.travelpod.com, www.virtualtourist.com, www.whereivebeen.com, and www.kuxun.cn.
***Source: comScore Media Metrix for TripAdvisor Sites, Worldwide, August 2011
**** TripAdvisor sites operate in 30 countries worldwide: www.tripadvisor.com, www.tripadvisor.co.uk, www.tripadvisor.ca, www.tripadvisor.it, www.tripadvisor.es, www.tripadvisor.de, www.tripadvisor.fr, www.tripadvisor.jp, www.daodao.com, www.tripadvisor.in, www.tripadvisor.se, www.tripadvisor.nl, www.tripadvisor.com.br, www.tripadvisor.com.tr, www.tripadvisor.dk, www.tripadvisor.com.mx, www.tripadvisor.ie, www.tripadvisor.com.au, www.tripadvisor.com.sg, www.tripadvisor.co.kr, no.tripadvisor.com, pl.tripadvisor.com, th.tripadvisor.com, www.tripadvisor.ru, www.tripadvisor.com.gr, www.tripadvisor.co.id, www.tripadvisor.com.ar, www.tripadvisor.tw, www.tripadvisor.com.my, and www.tripadvisor.com.eg.