TRIPADVISOR SURVEY REVEALS TRAVELERS GROWING GREENER
71% to Make Eco-Friendly Travel Choices in the Coming Year Tweet
NEWTON, Mass. — April 19, 2012 /PRNewswire/ — TripAdvisor®, the world’s largest travel site*, today announced the results of its eco-friendly travel survey of more than 700 U.S. travelers. The green travel trend is gaining momentum among TripAdvisor members, as 71 percent said they plan to make more eco-friendly choices in the next 12 months compared to 65 percent that did so in the past 12 months.
Going Green: Travelers’ Eco-Friendly Choices
- Fifty-seven percent of travelers said they “often” make eco-friendly travel decisions, such as their choice of hotel, transportation, or food source.
- Forty-four percent of travelers said they are more environmentally conscious at home than while traveling.
- Forty-seven percent of travelers said they are equally eco-friendly at home and traveling.
Travelers’ top 3 eco-friendly practices:
- Turned off lights when not in hotel room – 88%
- Participated in hotel’s linen/towel re-use program – 80%
- Used recycling in the hotel – 57%
Green Believing: How Travelers View Hotels’ Eco-Friendly Efforts
- Forty-four percent “mostly” believe hotel claims to be eco-friendly, 32 percent “rarely” do and 20 percent “don’t know”.
- Forty-one percent would believe a hotel’s claim to be eco-friendly if they experienced or witnessed green practices first hand.
- Twenty-four percent would be “green believers” if they were able to see a hotel’s environmentally-friendly certification.
- Sixty percent of travelers said they rarely feel informed about whether hotels are truly eco-friendly – and 13 percent said they never do.
Hotels’ top 3 eco-friendly practices, according to travelers:
- Towel/linen reuse – 58%
- Adjustable thermostat in room – 37%
- Water-efficient low-flow toilets and showerheads – 32%
Spending Green to be Green: Are Travelers Willing to Pay?
- Half of the travelers surveyed would spend more money to stay at an eco-friendly accommodation.
- Twenty-three percent would pay up to $25 additional per night to stay at such a property, while nine percent would be willing to spend $25-$50 extra.
- Seventy-five percent said the economic landscape does not affect their interest in eco-friendly travel choices.
Green Getaways: Making Eco-Tourism the Focus of the Trip
- Twenty percent of respondents said they would consider an “eco-tourism” trip but 17 percent said they are unfamiliar with such trips.
- Four percent said they have taken an eco-tourism trip.
- Twenty-four percent have considered a “voluntourism” trip and three percent said they’ve taken one. Sixteen percent are unfamiliar with voluntourism trips.
- Nearly a third of travelers (30 percent) would choose a destination for a trip because it is considered eco-friendly.
- Costa Rica is the most popular destination in the world for travelers interested in an eco-friendly trip.
The top 3 perceived eco-friendly U.S. cities, according to travelers:
- Portland, Oregon
- San Francisco, California
- Seattle, Washington
“Green initiatives are an increasing priority for hospitality businesses that are trying to reduce their environmental footprint,” said Jenny Rushmore, director of responsible travel for TripAdvisor. “Our survey shows that TripAdvisor travelers are interested in eco-friendly practices, but hungry for more information about which green plans and policies are actually in place.”
TripAdvisor® is the world’s largest travel site, enabling travelers to plan and have the perfect trip. TripAdvisor offers trusted advice from real travelers and a wide variety of travel choices and planning features with seamless links to booking tools. TripAdvisor-branded sites make up the largest travel community in the world, with more than 50 million unique monthly visitors*, and over 60 million reviews and opinions. The sites operate in 30 countries worldwide, including China under daodao.com. TripAdvisor also includes TripAdvisor for Business, a dedicated division that provides the tourism industry access to TripAdvisor’s millions of monthly visitors.
TripAdvisor, Inc. (NASDAQ: TRIP) manages and operates websites under 19 other travel media brands, and together the sites attract more than 69 million unique monthly visitors**. TripAdvisor’s travel media brands include www.airfarewatchdog.com, www.bookingbuddy.com, www.cruisecritic.com, www.everytrail.com, www.familyvacationcritic.com, www.flipkey.com, www.holidaylettings.co.uk, www.holidaywatchdog.com, www.independenttraveler.com, www.onetime.com, www.seatguru.com, www.sniqueaway.com, www.smartertravel.com, www.tingo.com, www.travel-library.com, www.travelpod.com, www.virtualtourist.com, www.whereivebeen.com, and www.kuxun.cn.
*Source: comScore Media Metrix for TripAdvisor Sites, Worldwide, January 2012
**Source: comScore Media Metrix for TripAdvisor Inc. and its subsidiaries, Worldwide, January 2012
©2012 TripAdvisor, Inc. All rights reserved.