Stephanie M. McGuane
Julie H. Craven
Hormel Foods Corporation
SPAM® Brand Celebrates 75 Years with Introduction of Sir Can-A-Lot™ Spokescharacter
Hormel Foods Launches Loveable Character to Rescue the World from Routine Meals
AUSTIN, Minn., (February 29, 2012) /PRNewswire/ — The Golden Gate Bridge opened in San Francisco. Comedian Bill Cosby was born. And in 1937, SPAM® products were introduced as a meal staple into American cupboards. To help celebrate 75 years of the SPAM® brand, the makers of SPAM® products are launching its first ever spokescharacter, Sir Can A-Lot™ –– a two and a half inch tall embodiment of the brand essence ready to begin a crusade to rescue the world from routine meals.
“The introduction of Sir Can-A-Lot™ provides an engaging presence that highlights the playful and down-to-earth personality that makes the SPAM® brand both unique and timeless,” said Nicole L. Behne, product manager of SPAM® family of products. “The campaign features him ridding not only mealtimes of boredom, but also helping consumers ‘Break the Monotony®.’”
The booming personality of Sir Can-A-Lot™ comes to life in various elements:
- Television spots:Three, 30-second, animated television advertisements feature Sir Can-A-Lot™ introducing SPAM® products into ho-hum meals in surprising ways
- Online banner ads: Online banner advertisements depict Sir Can-A-Lot™ proudly showcasing his love for SPAM® products.
- Redesigned SPAM.com: SPAM.com, has been redesigned to create a modern home base for the brand’s fans. Sir Can-A-Lot™ serves as the site’s guide to help fans break out of their boring routines, and surprises audiences by having them scroll not down, but UP to view the content!
- The Glorious SPAM® Tower: Fans are encouraged to explore the unlimited heights of Sir Can-a-Lot’s™ world, and to contribute content to the growing tower made up of cans. Within each can, fans uncover new product varieties, read news and interact with the brand on Facebook and Twitter.
- Enhanced Recipe Features: Discover an entirely new set of recipe options, including SPAM® recipe descriptions and user-friendly images.
- Fun & Games: Become immersed in the world of Sir Can-A-Lot™ that invites users to explore the SPAM® brand.
Creation of the TV and online advertisements was managed by BBDO Minneapolis. TV ads were produced by Laika House. Website and design was created by Proximity Minneapolis, with Proof Integrated Communications managing Web development.
In addition to the new campaign, the month of July will contain important milestones as the brand recognizes its 75th birthday on July 5. Hormel Foods will honor the community and home of the SPAM® brand in Austin, MN with a late-month festival. The brand will also bring the Sir Can-A-Lot™ Spokescharacter to New York to participate in the honor of ringing the closing bell at the New York Stock Exchange.
For more information, please visit http://www.spam.com or join the conversation at https://www.facebook.com/spambrand or https://twitter.com/#!/SPAMbrand.
About Hormel Foods
Hormel Foods Corporation, based in Austin, Minn., is a multinational manufacturer and marketer of consumer-branded food and meat products, many of which are among the best known and trusted in the food industry. The company leverages its extensive expertise, innovation and high competencies in pork and turkey processing and marketing to bring branded, value-added products to the global marketplace. The company is a member of the Standard & Poor’s 500 Index, Dow Jones Sustainability Indexes, Maplecroft Climate Innovation Indexes, Global 1000 Sustainable Performance Leaders and was named one of "The 100 Best Corporate Citizens” by Corporate Responsibility Magazine in 2011. The company enjoys a strong reputation among consumers, retail grocers, foodservice and industrial customers for products highly regarded for quality, taste, nutrition, convenience and value. For more information, visit http://www.hormelfoods.com.
©2012 Hormel Foods, LLC
# # #