Phone: (309) 735-7745
Cell: (309) 846-0811
State Farm® Names Top Ten States With Most Hail Losses
IBHS Indoor Hail Storm Simulates Real Damage
Bloomington, Ill, April 17, 2013 /PRNewswire/ — State Farm announces top ten states with the most wind, hail losses. Wind and hail storms remain some of the most frequent and severe causes of property damage. This year the Insurance Institute for Business & Home Safety Research Center conducted the first-ever indoor hailstorm, in an effort to research building products and ways to educate consumers.
Damage caused by wind and hail cost State Farm and its policyholders more than $3.9 billion in 2012. The states with the most wind/hail losses include:
- Texas—47,000 claims
- Illinois—41,000 claims
- New York—34,000 claims
- Ohio—31,000 claims
- Missouri—25,000 claims
- Tennessee—24,000 claims
- Indiana—23,000 claims
- New Jersey—23,000 claims
- Kentucky—22,000 claims
- Colorado—16,000 claims
While hail storms most frequently impact the Great Plains and Midwest, every state in the nation is susceptible. See how your state compares to others when it comes to wind/hail and most common insurance claims.
Heading Off Hail Damage:
- If weather conditions are prime for hail storms, pull cars, boats, RVs, lawn and patio furniture into a covered area.
- When building or remodeling, consider impact resistant roofing to reduce hail damage to your home. State Farm currently offers insurance premium discounts to homes with qualifying impact-resistant roofing products in 26 states and one Canadian province.
If You Experience Hail Damage:
- Work with your insurance agent or claims adjustor to fully understand the claims process and how covered repairs will be handled. State Farm customers who have reported a loss can expect to be contacted by a claim representative who will review your policy and explain your coverage, outline the claim process, and answer questions.
- Choose a reputable roofing contractor. Look for a licensed or bonded roofer and request references. Not all jurisdictions require licensing of roofing contractors. Ask to see certificates of insurance to be sure both liability and workers compensation insurance coverage is carried, and are in force during the time the roofing work is being done.
- You may also contact your local Better Business Bureau or the National Roofing Contractors Association for assistance in locating a professional contractor in a specific geographic area.
- If anyone visits your home without an appointment and professes to represent your insurer, ask for identification and contact your insurer to confirm before allowing access.
About State Farm®:
State Farm insures more cars and homes than any other insurer in the U.S., is the leading insurer of watercraft and is also a leading insurer in Canada. Our 17,800 agents and more than 66,000 employees serve 81 million policies and accounts – more than 79 million auto, fire, life and health policies in the United States and Canada, and nearly 2 million bank accounts. State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company is the parent of the State Farm family of companies. State Farm is ranked No. 34 on the Fortune 500 list of largest companies. For more information, please visit statefarm.com® or in Canada statefarm.ca®.
About the IBHS – IBHS is an independent, nonprofit, scientific research and communications organization supported by the property insurance industry. The organization works to reduce the social and economic effects of natural disasters and other risks on residential and commercial property by conducting building science research and advocating improved construction, maintenance and preparedness practices.