TRIPADVISOR SURVEY REVEALS LABOR DAY TRAVEL PLANS ARE UP SIX PERCENT THIS YEAR
Autumn Getaways on the Horizon for 86 Percent of U.S. Consumers Tweet
NEWTON, Mass. — August 21, 2013 — /PRNewswire/ — TripAdvisor®, the world’s largest travel site*, today announced the results of its annual Labor Day and fall travel survey of more than 1,200 U.S. respondents, revealing 33 percent of consumers are planning Labor Day trips, a six percent jump compared to last year’s holiday weekend (27 percent). What’s more, consumers are also packing to go on their autumn getaways soon, with 86 percent planning fall travel in 2013 – nearly equal to 85 percent that planned to travel last year.
Leaving for Labor Day
- Driving is the most popular mode of transportation (63 percent) this Labor Day, while 30 percent will take to the skies.
- Of those traveling for the holiday weekend, 42 percent plan to visit family and friends. Twenty-five percent are trekking to the great outdoors, 24 percent will make a beeline for the ocean, and 20 percent will go on a city escape.
- New York City is the most popular destination among those traveling for Labor Day this year, followed by Denver, Seattle, Philadelphia and Boston.
Fall Vacation Trends
The main motivators for travel this autumn are fewer crowds (22 percent) and a more pleasant climate (19 percent). Additionally, 32 percent of travelers plan to spend more on their fall leisure trip in 2013, while 57 percent expect to spend about the same as last year.
“Fall is the perfect time to get away, giving travelers the opportunity to enjoy milder weather, smaller crowds and lower prices,” said Brooke Ferencsik, director of communications at TripAdvisor.
- More than one-quarter (27 percent) of respondents will take three or more trips this fall.
- 56 percent of fall travelers will take a vacation lasting a week or longer.
- 52 percent book their fall vacation three or more months in advance.
- 43 percent of travelers will enjoy a romantic getaway with a loved one this fall and 38 percent will travel with family.
- 42 percent are planning to visit a repeat destination, while 20 percent will venture out to discover a new locale.
- 42 percent of fall leisure travelers will enjoy a city trip and 34 percent plan to head to the beach.
- 74 percent are planning a hotel stay, 28 percent will stay with family and friends and 22 percent will rent a vacation rental home.
Top 5 Fall Activities:
- View colorful fall foliage – 44%
- Go wine tasting / visit a vineyard – 29%
- Go to a food festival – 22%
- Attend a football game / collegiate homecoming – 18%
- Go to a state / county fair or fall festival – 18%
Additional Fall Travel Tidbits
- When it comes to fall treats, pumpkin pie is a favorite for 18 percent of respondents, while 14 percent will opt for a slice of apple pie.
- Apple cider is the fall beverage of choice (29 percent) followed by hot chocolate (11 percent).
TripAdvisor® is the world’s largest travel site*, enabling travelers to plan and have the perfect trip. TripAdvisor offers trusted advice from real travelers and a wide variety of travel choices and planning features with seamless links to booking tools. TripAdvisor branded sites make up the largest travel community in the world, with more than 260 million unique monthly visitors**, and more than 100 million reviews and opinions covering more than 2.7 million accommodations, restaurants and attractions. The sites operate in 30 countries worldwide, including China under daodao.com. TripAdvisor also includes TripAdvisor for Business, a dedicated division that provides the tourism industry access to millions of monthly TripAdvisor visitors.
TripAdvisor, Inc. (NASDAQ: TRIP) manages and operates websites under 20 other travel media brands: www.airfarewatchdog.com, www.bookingbuddy.com, www.cruisecritic.com, www.everytrail.com, www.familyvacationcritic.com, www.flipkey.com, www.gateguru.com, www.holidaylettings.co.uk, www.holidaywatchdog.com, www.independenttraveler.com, www.jetsetter.com, www.niumba.com, www.onetime.com, www.seatguru.com, www.smartertravel.com, www.tingo.com, www.travelpod.com, www.virtualtourist.com, www.whereivebeen.com, and www.kuxun.cn.
*Source: comScore Media Metrix for TripAdvisor Sites, worldwide, June 2013
**Source: Google Analytics, worldwide data, July 2013
©2013 TripAdvisor, Inc. All rights reserved.