THE IHEARTRADIO MUSIC FESTIVAL ROCKED LAS VEGAS FOR THE SECOND YEAR WITH THE BIGGEST CONCERT & TALENT IN RADIO HISTORY
THE 2012 FESTIVAL CELEBRATES THE INCREDIBLE SUCCESS OF THE NEW IHEARTRADIO SINCE ITS LAUNCH AT THE INAUGURAL 2011 EVENT
THE SOLD OUT FESTIVAL ALSO RAISED MORE THAN $500K FOR NATIONAL CHARITIES, INCLUDING ALLIANCE FOR LUPUS RESEARCH, MUSCULAR DYSTROPHY ASSOCIATION, BAREFOOT FOUNDATION, SOARING WORDS AND RAINFOREST FOUNDATION US
New York, NY – September 24, 2012 /PRNewswire/ — The second annual iHeartRadio Music Festival closed a triumphant weekend, September 21 and 22, after more than 10 hours of back-to-back diverse performances by some of the biggest names in the music industry as well as a number of unprecedented collaborations by superstars across musical genres. Ryan Seacrest kicked off the festival Friday night at MGM Grand in Las Vegas with performances by artists No Doubt, Miranda Lambert, Bon Jovi, Jason Aldean, Lil Wayne, Swedish House Mafia, Usher, Green Day and Rihanna; the festivities continued Saturday evening with P!nk, Brad Paisley, Calvin Harris, Enrique Iglesias, Mary J. Blige, Taylor Swift, Linkin Park, deadmau5, Aerosmith and Pitbull.
The iHeartRadio Music Festival weekend was notable for the unparalleled number and diversity of incredible performances, thrilling collaborations and special guest appearances including Britney Spears, Ryan Lochte, Miley Cyrus, Demi Lovato, the Jonas Brothers and many others. Fans were also entertained by Korean and Internet pop sensation Psy, who performed his "Gangnam Style" viral song and dance onstage. #iHeartRadio was a trending topic on Twitter in the U.S. and worldwide throughout both nights of the festival with tweets and retweets from millions of fans as well as artists and festival presenters.
Highlights from Day 1 of the iHeartRadio Music Festival: September 21, 2012
- No Doubt & P!nk performed a duet of “Just A Girl”: The two blonde megastars took center stage Friday evening during the Festival’s opening performance, singing No Doubt classic “I’m Just a Girl.” After the show, P!nk shared her experience with fans on Twitter, writing, “I just got off stage from the raddest surprise performance with No Doubt. She really is that cool. I’m just a girl.”
- Lil Wayne – Friday’s “hip hop fix”: Lil Wayne began his performance by declaring to the crowd: “I am your hip hop fix for tonight, so excuse all the cuss words. My job is to turn this [expletive] upside down!” Lil Wayne also brought out recording artist Keyshia Cole to perform her hit single “Enough Of No Love.”
- Usher & Swedish House Mafia debuted “Euphoria”: Usher took center stage on Friday night as Swedish House Mafia performed from a three-tiered spaceship-inspired DJ booth located in the middle of the MGM Grand Arena. The foursome joined to perform “Euphoria,” making it the song’s live debut.
Highlights from Day 2 of the iHeartRadio Music Festival: September 22, 2012
- Mary J. Blige and Prince duet “Nothing Compares 2 U”: Mary J. Blige truly shocked and rocked Las Vegas when she stopped midway through her performance to announce a surprise guest performer – the iconic artist Prince. “I got a real good friend in the building. He’s one of the most amazing artists to ever walk the earth,” she said as she introduced Prince during her set Saturday night. Together the pair performed hits “Sweet Thing” and “Nothing Compares 2 U.”
- Gerard Way of My Chemical Romance joined deadmau5 for live debut of “Professional Griefers”: deadmau5 lit up the night with an electronica inspired laser show from the Festival’s spectacular DJ booth. The audience flashed to the beats with specially programmed multicolored iHeartRadio LED wristbands as the producer/DJ showcased multiple mau5 heads throughout his electrifying set. The crowd’s attention shifted to the main stage where My Chemical Romance’s Gerard Way joined the main stage to sing his collaboration with deadmau5, their new release “Professional Griefers.”
- Pitbull and Ne-Yo closed the iHeartRadio Music Festival: To wrap up the 2012 iHeartRadio Festival Ne-Yo, who had completed his own set earlier in the evening, joined Pitbull for “Give Me Everything” while thousands of balloons rained down on concert-goers. This was the second collaboration of the show for both Pitbull and Ne-Yo; Pitbull joined Enrique Iglesias on stage for “Baby I Like It” earlier in the evening and Ne-Yo collaborated with Calvin Harris for hit song “Let’s Go.”
Live audio and video streams of the iHeartRadio Music Festival were available online and via mobile devices at Yahoo.com and on Xbox. Fans can also catch it on the CW on Monday, Oct. 1, 8:00-10:00 p.m. ET. – which will kick off their Fall 2012 season.
The Festival, which sold out in just eight minutes, also raised more than $500K for a number of national charities, including Alliance for Lupus Research, Muscular Dystrophy Association, Barefoot Foundation, Soaring Words and Rainforest Foundation US by offering tickets and unique packages to philanthropic supporters. In addition to fundraising, Clear Channel used its close relationships with artists and record companies to create memories for a number of critically ill children and their families by partnering with Make-a-Wish Foundation and Jack and Jill Late Stage Cancer Foundation.
The iHeartRadio Music Festival 2012 celebrates the success of the iHeartRadio platform since its launch at last year’s inaugural iHeartRadio Music Festival. As the No. 1 free digital radio app on the iPhone, iPad and Android, iHeartRadio provides an additional platform for radio fans, offering instant access to more than 1,500 of the nation’s most popular live broadcast and digital-only radio stations from more than 150 cities, plus user-created Custom Stations inspired by favorite artists and songs. iHeartRadio now also includes a number of other stations, formats and programming such as Univision, Greater Media stations, WNYC, EMF’s Contemporary Christian Air1 and K Love stations, college radio, Cumulus, Cox, Emmis and other stations.
Clear Channel Media and Entertainment, with its 239 million monthly listeners in the U.S., has the largest reach of any radio or television outlet in America. With more than 115 million listening hours a month, nearly 50 million monthly digital uniques and more than 120 million downloads of iHeartRadio mobile apps, iHeartRadio continues to be the number one digital radio service. And in an indication of its consumer popularity, Clear Channel brands and personalities have more than 31 million fans and followers on Facebook and Twitter. iHeartRadio’s Facebook page alone has grown to 5 million fans in the year since it was introduced at the inaugural iHeartRadio Music Festival in 2011.
With 17 million registered users in the one year since its introduction, iHeartRadio continues to grow faster than all other popular digital entertainment and social platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, Pandora, Spotify and Instagram. And registered users are only a percentage of iHeartRadio’s overall listeners, since registration is only required for the Custom Station feature which launched last September.
About Clear Channel Media and Entertainment:
With 239 million monthly listeners in the U.S., Clear Channel Media and Entertainment has the largest reach of any radio or television outlet in America. Clear Channel Media and Entertainment serves 150 cities through 850 owned radio stations. The company’s radio stations and content can be heard on AM/FM stations, HD digital radio channels, Sirius/XM satellite, on the Internet at iHeartRadio.com and on the company’s radio station websites, on the iHeartRadio mobile application on iPads and smartphones, and used via navigation systems from TomTom, Garmin and others.
The company’s operations include radio broadcasting, online and mobile services and products, syndication, music research services and independent media representation. Clear Channel Media and Entertainment is a division of CC Media Holdings, Inc. (OTCBB: CCMO), a leading global media and entertainment company. More information on the company can be found at clearchannel.com, clearchanneloutdoor.com and ccmediaholdings.com.
Follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/iHeartRadio
Like us on Facebook at facebook.com/iHeartRadio
# # #