Sam’s Club Study Reveals the True State of Cheer in America
With 79 percent of consumers looking forward to the holidays, Sam’s Club and their holiday Cheer Guides provide unique solutions to boost merriment
BENTONVILLE, ARK., Oct. 19, 2012 /PRNewswire/ — Cheer is: More time with the family? Festive décor? Planning in advance? Today, Sam’s Club announced the results of the 2012 Study on Holiday Cheer, which set out to understand the state of holiday cheer among American consumers and discover the routines and inspirations that create cheer during a busy shopping season. The Sam’s Club study revealed that while 75 percent of consumers feel that the recent economy has an impact on their holiday cheer, 79 percent are looking forward to the 2012 holiday season.
To deliver more cheer to hopeful families this holiday, today Sam’s Club and SamsClub.com/holiday launch a host of inspirational holiday solutions for preparing the home, entertaining and gift giving. To further elevate cheer through the season, Sam’s Club has enlisted an all-star squad of Cheer Guides, national experts in decorating, entertaining and charitable giving who will inspire members with creative, fun ideas that ease the stress of the holiday season.
“As our members stretch every dollar to provide cheerful holiday occasions this year, Sam’s Club will lift spirits with fresh, seasonal solutions at a value that our members can cheer about,” said Charles Redfield, chief merchandising officer for Sam’s Club. “By stocking each aisle with quality seasonal décor, exceptional entertaining items and unique and exciting gift selections from now through December, Sam’s Club can give every member the cheerful holiday memories they deserve this year.”
Survey Says, Cheer is: Family and Friends
Despite the economic impact on cheer, the 2012 Sam’s Club Study on Holiday Cheer states that nearly three quarters of American consumers look forward to the holidays, no matter what income level, ethnicity, age or household size. The overwhelming definition of holiday cheer is family and friends. In fact, 50 percent of American consumers say that dinner with family and friends best defines cheer. Furthermore, over 35 percent say cheer is defined by lights and decorations and eight percent define cheer as holiday movies and music. Other findings include:
- The Most Cheerful Americans: Households with children and Hispanic-American families in particular are among the most cheerful. 70 percent of both groups say they experience more cheer throughout the holidays than other times of the year.
- Preparation is the Key to Cheer: 80 percent of American consumers agree that being prepared for the holidays gives them more cheer. Women in particular (87 percent) crave preparedness more than their male counterparts (74 percent).
- Start Early: Nearly 40 percent of American consumers say they are either one of the first or sometimes the first in their community to “cheer up” their home with holiday decorations.
- Love is the Answer: 51 percent of American consumers cite love as the secret ingredient to holiday cheer.
- The Lawn vs. The Sweaters: 50 percent of people say overzealous lawn decorations are the most “wacky” behavior that demonstrates holiday cheer, followed by awkward family photos (33 percent), bad holiday sweaters (28 percent), and dressing like elves or Santa (24 percent).
Cheer is: Simplicity
There might be something to the “making a list and checking it twice” mantra. In fact, half of all survey respondents said they are happier during the holidays when they plan ahead and find ways to simplify their lives. To help families prepare for gift shopping, out of town guests and party planning, Sam’s Club presents a host of simple programs to inject cheer into the shopping routine:
- Holiday Taste of Sam’s Club (Nov. 16-18): The annual extravaganza to sample fresh foods, gourmet-to-go desserts and ready-made appetizers makes the tenth annual Holiday Taste of Sam’s Club a cheerful holiday tradition. For three days, members and guests can “try before they buy,” plan their holiday menus and learn entertaining shortcuts from “Tastes ‘n’ Tips” associates.
- Click n’ Pull®: Sam’s Club takes the legwork out of holiday shopping with the SamsClub.com Click n’ Pull feature. Members simply submit their orders online before 5 p.m. and a Sam’s Club associate will have the items gathered and ready for pick up the next day. (Not available Nov. 23)
- Black Friday Savings Event (Nov. 23): Members will cheer for savings as they indulge in “mistletoe and a cup of joe” at Sam’s Club on the biggest shopping day of the year. While supplies last, Sam’s Club treats members to complimentary Starbucks Holiday Blend coffee and Artisan Fresh pastries as they shop for special savings on treasured gifts reserved for members only.
- Cybernate: Sam’s Club members can stay cozy and “cybernate” while shopping anywhere at any time on SamsClub.com—and via the Sam’s Club iPad® app and mobile app—for exclusive savings on unique gifts ranging from big screen HDTVs and electronics to stunning diamond jewelry and toys for kids. Tap the app to make shopping lists, check Instant Savings, view recipes, and upload photos directly to a local Sam’s Club Photo Center.
- 24/7 Free Tech Support: Thanks to the qualified team of Sam’s Club Tech Experts, families won’t stress over tech set-up and maintenance. When members dial 1-877-758-4346, they’ll receive free technical assistance for any television, home theater, digital music player, camera/camcorder or computer purchased at Sam’s Club.
- Special Deliveries from Sam’s Club Giving (Dec. 10-15): 85 percent of American consumers prefer to give gifts than to receive them. In December, the Sam’s Club Giving program celebrates the cheer discovered from giving back to our communities. Important details will be announced in the coming weeks.
Cheer is: Guidance
The all-star squad of Sam’s Club Cheer Guides will inspire members with creative holiday solutions sourced directly from Sam’s Club. Whether members seek insider cooking tips, DIY entertaining inspirations or thoughtful last-minute gifts, these expert Cheer Guides will excite you with fun, new ideas:
- Brooke Peterson: Creative DIY Ideas from Entertaining to Gifting
Brooke is a lifestyle and DIY expert like no other and believes FUN to be paramount in every aspect of her multi-faceted life. Named by various newspapers and media outlets as ‘one to watch,’ Brooke created and starred in Yahoo’s original series Cheap N Easy, starred in Food Network’s Private Chefs of Beverly Hills and was most recently seen hosting ABC’s Time Machine Chefs. She has worked as a correspondent for Showtime, V.I.P. Access, The T.V. Guide Channel, The Style Network, The Rachael Ray Show, CW’s Career Day, Martha Stewart Radio, Whatever with Alexis and Jennifer, TV Guide, Health Magazine, Nickelodeon’s Parents Connect, Los Angeles Magazine, MommyCast.com and Rock What You Got with Brooke Peterson on Style Haul. Throughout the season, MsBrookePeterson.com will feature clever, crafty DIY tips for a more cheerful holiday!
“Cheer is: being together.”
- Chef Chris Hanmer: Save Time Cooking without Sacrificing Flavor
A member of the Sam’s Club Simply Delicious Chef Brigade, Chris Hanmer is a world champion pastry chef and winner of Bravo’s “Top Chef: Just Desserts.” Chris owns The School of Pastry Design in Las Vegas, NV and has worked with some of the best pastry chefs in the world.
“Cheer is: Creating easy-to-make, five star baked goods for the holiday season.”
- Ericka Lassiter, Off the Field Players Wives Association: Giving Back can Be Simple and Fun
The generous women of the Off The Field Players Wives Association, comprised of wives of active and retired pro football players, join Sam’s Club and The Salvation Army for the fifth consecutive year to shop for gifts, food and other supplies to help specific families in need across the U.S. Off the Field President and philanthropist Ericka Lassiter will usher members through a variety of charitable giving ideas, and offer a few tips to help families and businesses stretch their dollars to give back more…for less. Ericka says she learned at an early age from her parents that giving back to others was a must and therefore, finds it so rewarding.
“Cheer is: Gifts from the Heart”
- 47 million Sam’s Club Members: Our most valued source of cheer
Sam’s Club is committed to listening to our members to give them what they want this holiday, and providing the quality items, excitement, savings and services to surprise and delight 47 million cardholders across the U.S. Sam’s Club invites members to share their most cheerful holiday routines and memories with Sam’s Club on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest and Google+.
“Cheer Is: The Value of Membership”
To see why holiday cheer starts at Sam’s Club, visit Samsclub.com/holiday. Additional data from The Sam’s Club 2012 Study on Holiday Cheer is available upon request.
About Sam’s Club
Sam’s Club®, a division of Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT), is the nation’s eighth largest retailer and a leading membership warehouse club offering superior products and services to more than 47 million members in clubs across the U.S., as well as in Brazil, China and Mexico. Members save an average of 34 percent over traditional retailers. To learn more about Savings Made Simple®, visit SamsClub.com, and look for Sam’s Club on our Mobile and iPad® Apps.
# # #