Nothing But Good: Chobani Founder Hamdi Ulukaya Named Ernst & Young National Entrepreneur Of The Year® 2012 Overall Award Winner
Ulukaya honored for creating a nutritional trend while harnessing his entrepreneurial vision to build a start-up into the number one Greek yogurt brand in America
NORWICH, NY, NOVEMBER 17, 2012 /PRNewswire/ — Hamdi Ulukaya, Founder of Chobani, has been named the Ernst & Young National Entrepreneur Of The Year® 2012 Overall Award winner. The Ernst & Young Entrepreneur Of The Year Award is the country’s most prestigious business award for entrepreneurs. The award encourages entrepreneurial activity and recognizes leaders and visionaries who demonstrate innovation, financial success and personal commitment as they create and build world-class businesses.
Ulukaya was recognized for bringing together his passion and entrepreneurial vision to turn a start-up yogurt company into a catalyst for America’s Greek yogurt boom that has since changed the way U.S. consumers think about and eat yogurt, ultimately initiating a health revolution. He was honored at the Entrepreneur Of The Year gala, the culminating event of the Ernst & Young Strategic Growth Forum® in Palm Springs, Calif. The Forum is the nation’s premier gathering of high-growth, market-leading companies. Awards were given in ten additional categories. All Ernst & Young Entrepreneur Of The Year Award winners were selected by an independent panel of judges from 244 regional award recipients.
“Entrepreneurs continue to be a driving force in leading the economic recovery. Their ability to see around corners and find new, better ways of doing things makes them an engine of growth,” said Bryan Pearce, Americas Director, Entrepreneur Of The Year, Ernst & Young LLP.” Ulukaya’s ability to not only see an opportunity in the market, but to reinvigorate and innovate an entire product category is inspiring.”
Ulukaya was recognized with the Retail and Consumer Products category award, besting other nine category winners to take home top honors. In addition to Ulukaya, the 2012 Entrepreneur Of The Year winners include:
- Media, Entertainment and Communications: Michael T. Fries, President and CEO, Liberty Global: recognized for his foresight and ability to expand into regions of the world not yet explored by other cable providers.
- Real Estate, Construction and Lodging: Gary Jabara, President and CEO, Mobilitie, LLC: recognized for his ability to employ a unique business model to build a trusted company that is now considered the premier provider of wireless coverage solutions.
- Distribution and Manufacturing: Eric Lofquist, Founder, Co-owner and President / CEO, Magnus International Group: recognized for his leadership in transforming vegetable oils and naturally derived emulsions into sustainable global products.
- Emerging: Tonya Mallory, President, CEO and Co-founder, Health Diagnostic Laboratory, Inc.: recognized for her commitment to improving healthcare delivery through preventative disease management services.
- Energy, Cleantech and Natural Resources: Michael G. O’Neill, Founder and CEO, Preferred Sands: recognized for his leadership and innovation in supply of sands and other materials for hydraulic fracturing.
- Financial Services: Richard McVey, CEO and Chairman of the Board, MarketAxess Holdings, Inc.: recognized for pioneering a new way of trading and transforming the way business is conducted in the fixed income market.
- Life Sciences: Joe Kiani, CEO and Chairman of the Board, Masimo Corporation: recognized for revolutionizing today’s health care technologies with the invention and commercialization of non-invasive patient monitoring devices.
- Services: Brian Sharples, Co-founder and CEO, HomeAway, Inc.: recognized for combining his entrepreneurial desire and innate ability to spot business opportunities to develop the world’s leading online vacation rental marketplace.
- Technology: Mike Morhaime, CEO, President and Co-founder, Blizzard Entertainment, Inc.: recognized for his commitment to a high standard of quality and propelling to the pinnacle of the gaming industry as an internationally recognized leader in interactive entertainment.
Hamdi Ulukaya: a journey of passion and unparalleled leadership
After leaving his family’s dairy business in Turkey to pursue higher education in the United States, Ulukaya recognized a gap in America’s dairy offerings and the opportunity to tap a relatively untouched market: Greek yogurt. Instinctively following his gut, he purchased an old Kraft yogurt plant in 2005 with the goal of bringing superior products to the U.S. market. He spent his days endlessly perfecting a yogurt recipe that would eventually, in 2007, come to be known as Chobani, or “shepherd” in Turkish. Ulukaya hired four ex-Kraft employees to hand package yogurt and fill orders. Seven years later, Ulukaya still walks the floor every day to oversee operations and prides himself on finding employees who share his same passion and work ethic.
Grassroots marketing done right
In less than four years, Ulukaya has built the Chobani story beyond imagination. While other competitors focus largely on mass marketing and TV advertising, Ulukaya has kept his brand different from the rest. He has instead taken a more creative, grassroots approach, capitalizing on social media and word of mouth marketing to build a cult following around the brand. With almost 600,000 Facebook fans, Chobani prides itself on being engaged and connected with its growing community.
Nothing But Good: a champion for positive change
Despite rapid expansion of the Chobani brand, Ulukaya sticks by his company’s philosophy: “Nothing But Good.” His philanthropic initiatives have supported more than 50 groups globally. In 2010, Ulukaya created the Shepherd’s Gift Foundation, an independent 501c(3) in honor of his mother. The foundation contributes 10 percent of all Chobani post-tax profits to those working for positive, long-lasting change.
Ulukaya’s also using his vision to expand into new product lines and grow Chobani’s domestic and global footprints. He recently launched Chobani Champions, the first Greek yogurt for kids. Ulukaya is also undertaking a major expansion of the current New York plant and is constructing a new 900,000 square-foot plant in Idaho that, when finished, will be the largest yogurt plant in the country. On a global scale, Ulukaya acquired Bead Foods in Australia in 2011 and is planning to move into Canada as well.
Ulukaya’s hard work, creativity, passion and leadership have enabled him to be an inspiring global leader. Despite his success, he will always stay true to his promise to make high quality, fairly priced products so that everyone can have access to the best tasting yogurt.
Video and photos
To view video clips of all of the Entrepreneur Of The Year winners, please visit ey.com/us/eoy. Photos of the winners are also available by request.
Founded and produced by Ernst & Young LLP, the Entrepreneur Of The Year Awards are nationally sponsored in the United States by SAP America and the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation.
# # #
About Ernst & Young’s Entrepreneur Of The Year
Ernst & Young’s Entrepreneur Of The Year is the world’s most prestigious business award for entrepreneurs. The unique award makes a difference through the way it encourages entrepreneurial activity among those with potential and recognizes the contribution of people who inspire others with their vision, leadership and achievement. As the first and only truly global award of its kind, Entrepreneur Of The Year celebrates those who are building and leading successful, growing and dynamic businesses, recognizing them through regional, national and global awards programs in more than 140 cities in 50 countries.
About Ernst & Young LLP’s Strategic Growth Markets practice
Ernst & Young LLP’s Strategic Growth Markets (SGM) practice guides leading high-growth companies. Our multidisciplinary team of elite professionals provides perspective and advice to help our clients accelerate market leadership. SGM delivers assurance, tax, transactions and advisory services to thousands of companies spanning all industries. Ernst & Young is the undisputed leader in taking companies public, advising key government agencies on the issues impacting high-growth companies and convening the experts who shape the business climate. For more information, please visit us at ey.com/us/strategicgrowthmarkets, or follow news on Twitter at EY_Growth.
About Ernst & Young
Ernst & Young is a global leader in assurance, tax, transaction and advisory services. Worldwide, our 167,000 people are united by our shared values and an unwavering commitment to quality. We make a difference by helping our people, our clients and our wider communities achieve their potential.
For more information, please visit ey.com.
Ernst & Young refers to the global organization of member firms of Ernst & Young Global Limited, each of which is a separate legal entity. Ernst & Young Global Limited, a UK company limited by guarantee, does not provide services to clients.
This news release has been issued by Ernst & Young LLP, a client-serving member firm of Ernst Young Global Limited operating in the US.
Ernst & Young Entrepreneur Of The Year