“INSPIRING OUR WORLD” ENGAGES MGM RESORTS’ EMPLOYEES IN CULTURE, DIVERSITY AND CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
Imaginative Employee-Based Production Motivates Employees to Make a Difference in the World Tweet
LAS VEGAS (December 20, 2012) /PRNewswire/ — MGM Resorts International has taken an innovative approach to team building for its 62,000 employees. Working together to build a better workplace, a better community and a better world, “Inspiring Our World” – an empowering Vegas-style production created for employees, by employees – was performed this week with the goal of advancing the company’s vision and commitment to diversity and corporate social responsibility.
Through original music and choreography, world-class theatrics and captivating storytelling, 70 employees shared their talents before thousands of peers, uniting 50,000 southern Nevada team members from MGM Resorts’ family of properties on stage and in the audience.
The Inspiring Our World production served as a platform to deepen the company’s corporate culture and motivate employees to excel in guest service while making positive contributions to the communities they call home, embracing diversity and being exceptional environmental stewards.
Jim Murren, Chairman & CEO of MGM Resorts International, said the program serves to celebrate the company’s successes as an international hospitality and entertainment leader.
“Our passion for diversity and inclusion, community engagement and the environment unites, unifies and empowers our employees to create a positive, long-lasting impact in the communities in which we operate,” Murren said.
The production underscores a larger mission for MGM Resorts more than a decade in the making, from diversity and philanthropy to community engagement and sustainability:
Diversity & Inclusion
- MGM Resorts was the first company in the gaming and hospitality industries to voluntarily adopt a formal diversity and inclusion policy and with the program has graduated more than 50,000 Diversity Champions.
- MGM Resorts has been recognized among the Top 25 Noteworthy Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc Magazine; 40 Best Companies for Diversity by Black Enterprise Magazine; Best Companies for Latina Employees by Latina Style Magazine; Best Places to Work for LGBT Equality by the Human Rights Campaign Foundation.
- MGM Resorts has increased and maintained the overall representation of women (more than 40 percent) and minorities (more than 30 percent) in the diversity profile of its management team for the past five years.
- Since 2001, MGM Resorts has spent a cumulative total of nearly $3 billion with MWDBE suppliers and contractors (minority-owned, women-owned and disadvantaged business enterprises); and businesses owned by veterans, persons with disabilities or LGBT persons.
Philanthropy & Community Engagement
- Since 2002, the employee-driven MGM Resorts Foundation has donated almost $50 million to nonprofit organizations.
- To date in 2012, MGM Resorts’ employees logged more than 95,000 volunteer hours and have helped more than 820 nonprofit agencies meet community needs.
- In 2011, 97 employee-funded MGM Resorts Foundation grants provided educational support to 119,048 children; food, housing and self-sufficiency assistance to 150,881 individuals and families; and vital assistance including medical care and mental health counseling to 24,498 individuals and families.
- MGM Resorts’ donation in 2012 of more than 378,000 pounds of canned food to Three Square, the leading Las Vegas food bank, earned the distinction of the largest single company donation in the nonprofit’s history for the third year running.
- MGM Resorts’ Green Advantage, the company’s comprehensive sustainability program, uses environmentally responsible practices to effectively lower its carbon footprint throughout all business operations.
- Over the past five years, MGM Resorts has achieved a total savings of more than 300 million kilowatt hours of electricity, 500,000 MMBtu of natural gas and 1.9 billion gallons of water; and increased its recycling rate by more than 420 percent.
- MGM Resorts’ properties have achieved six LEED® Gold certifications and 12 Green Key Global Eco-Ratings; at more than 18 million square feet, CityCenter is the largest LEED Gold certified development in the world.
- The company has been recognized with the Business Leadership Recycling Award by American Forest and Paper Association; LEED® Advocacy Award by USGBC Nevada Chapter; Best Sustainable Design (Crystals) by the International Council of Shopping Centers; and Gold Achievement WasteWise by Environmental Protection Agency Food Recovery.
For more information about the company’s social responsibility programs, please see the 2012 Annual CSR Report.
About MGM Resorts International
MGM Resorts International (NYSE:MGM) is one of the world’s leading global hospitality companies operating a peerless portfolio of destination resort brands, including Bellagio, MGM Grand, Mandalay Bay and The Mirage. For more information about MGM Resorts International, visit the Company’s website at www.mgmresorts.com.
Right-click the links below for ‘SAVE’ options
Highlights from MGM’s ‘‘Inspiring Our World’’. Video features variety of musical acts, behind-the-scenes footage & interviews with creators, cast members and executives.
B-roll of ‘‘Inspiring Our World’’ show footage, interviews with Jim Murren – Chairman & CEO, Patty Coaley – Show Creator, Michelle DiTondo – SVP of HR, and three cast members.
MGM Resorts International
MGM Resorts Corporate Social Responsibility Fact Sheet