Bombay Sapphire Gin Announces Four Winners Of The Imagination Series: Film Competition; Public To Vote For A Fifth Winner
Four filmmakers have won the chance to have their imagination made into a film
The public gets the chance to vote for a fifth film by visiting www.imaginationseries.com/vote
LONDON, October 24, 2013, PRNewswire – BOMBAY SAPPHIRE®, the world’s fastest-growing major gin brand by volume and value1, in association with Tribeca Film Festival®, today announced the four winners of the Bombay Sapphire Imagination Series: Film competition. The competition offers budding filmmakers the chance to realise their own short film, using their imagination to interpret a short film script created by Academy Award® winner Geoffrey Fletcher.
Now in its second year, Bombay Sapphire and Geoffrey Fletcher assembled a cross section of imaginative heavy weights from the world of film to judge the entries, which featured Academy Award® winning actor, Adrien Brody; screenwriter and film director, Lucy Mulloy; screenwriter, Naomi Foner; actor, Peter Facinelli; and senior curator at Vimeo, Sam Morrill, who between them selected nine films for their originality and imagination.
The winners are:
- Anthony Khaseria, a screenwriter from London, for his film ‘Reflections’
- Maite Fernandez, a bookseller and comedian from Spain, for her film ‘Grafitti Area’
- Chris Cornwell, a screenwriter from London, for his film ‘Exit Log’
- Kiara Jones, a film student from the U.S., for her film ‘The Other Side of the Game’
Academy Award winning screenwriter Geoffrey Fletcher commented on the competition: “At a time when it’s difficult for new voices and creative visions to find funding and broad exposure, Bombay Sapphire is providing a platform and launch pad for new stories to be told on screen. We hope the films we create inspire audiences and are as resonate as they are imaginative."
Academy Award winner Adrien Brody said, “The range of creativity of the entries we received to the Bombay Sapphire Imagination Series Film competition this year was vast, making it extremely difficult to distil into only four winners. Regardless, I hope for many it was a motivational experience and I believe we’ve uncovered some exciting new talent who we hope will go on to make an impact within the film industry. I’m very much looking forward to seeing how we bring the winners imaginations to life through film on the big screen in April.”
With imagination at the heart of both Bombay Sapphire and filmmaking, the competition looks to explore endless creativity and the brand’s belief in the power of imagination and that it can take you anywhere.
Bombay Sapphire Global Marketing Manager Luca Vescovini added: “We are committed to sparking people’s imagination and uncovering new talent through the Bombay Sapphire Imagination Series Film competition. It’s exciting to see how the Imagination Series has grown and after only two years it has almost doubled its entries receiving more than 1,300 submissions from 68 countries across the world.”
Geoffrey Gilmore, Chief Creative Officer of Tribeca Enterprises, commented on the association with Bombay Sapphire: "It’s great to partner with a brand who embraces creativity and imagination in the same way we do. The Imagination Series, fuelled with the passion and support of the Bombay Sapphire team provides a great opportunity for the discovery of new storytellers.”
Starting today, Bombay Sapphire is giving members of the general public the chance to vote for a fifth film to be made through its open vote selection. By visiting www.imaginationseries.com/vote a vote can be cast, with the winning film announced on 14 November 2013.
The wild cards are:
- Karen Pessina, Italy – ‘Tea Time’ is a thriller involving two men who pull over with a flat tire. When they seek help at a nearby house, an old lady offers them tea and muffins. One suddenly drops dead after eating a poisoned muffin. His partner is reunited with the old lady.
- Allyson Morgan, USA – ‘Need for Speed (Dating)’ is a comedy about two friends that attend a speed dating event. They face a gaggle of unsavory guys one after the other and begin to think that all hope is gone. Fate intervenes and they each find a great match somewhat closer to home.
- Giles Borg, UK – ‘The Search’ is a drama about a man who fears he’s the last man left on earth. He employs an old computer terminal, BOB, to scan CCTV footage for other signs of life. BOB finds other humans but, being lonely himself, does not tell John, who leaves, hopeless.
- Effie Woods, UK – ‘Cutie Pie’ is a comedy about a man, Peter, who returns home to find he has been bought an adorable kitten by Maggie. Peter wants Maggie to return it when the kitten destroys the house. Despite their efforts to shake off the little monster, it continues to haunt them.
- Hiroshi Momose, Japan – ‘The Value of Freedom’ is an animation set in the zoo. Two birds look out through bars at the sky beyond. One bird enlists help to escape the confines of the cage. Choosing to fly off into the unknown, the other bird chooses to stay, reassured by what it knows.
The winners will now participate in producing and directing their own individual films, which will be premiered in early 2014. To see the winners and hear more about their films and experiences during the production process visit www.imaginationseries.com/vote.
About BOMBAY SAPPHIRE®
Bombay Sapphire the world’s fastest growing major gin brand by volume and value1. Based on a secret 1761 recipe, Bombay Sapphire gin is created by perfectly balancing a unique combination of 10 hand-selected exotic botanicals from around the world. The natural flavours of the botanicals are captured through a delicate distillation process called Vapour Infusion which results in the tantalising, smooth and complex taste that is Bombay Sapphire.
BOMBAY SAPPHIRE® – Infused with imagination™
Bombay Sapphire aims to inspire people into expanding their minds, thinking differently to reveal more about themselves and their Imaginations. The team at Bombay Sapphire believes everyone has imagination and therefore aims to give everyone the opportunity to be inspired, and to infuse their imagination with Bombay Sapphire.
For further information please contact: