“If you’re looking for trip inspiration, look no further than the Travelers’ Choice Destinations,” said Barbara Messing, chief marketing officer for TripAdvisor. “Our global travelers are the tastemakers for uncovering the best places to visit around the world.”
Travelers’ Choice Destinations honor top travel spots worldwide based on the millions of valuable reviews and opinions from TripAdvisor travelers. Award winners were determined using an algorithm that took into account the quantity and quality of reviews and ratings for hotels, attractions and restaurants in destinations worldwide, gathered over a 12-month period.
Top 25 Travelers’ Choice World Destinations:
(+/- denotes change in ranking year-over-year, 0 is no change and new is new to the top 25)
- 1. Istanbul, Turkey (+11)
- 2. Rome, Italy (+2)
- 3. London, England (0)
- 4. Beijing, China (+17)
- 5. Prague, Czech Republic (+4)
- 6. Marrakech, Morocco (+13)
- 7. Paris, France (-6)
- 8. Hanoi, Vietnam (New)
- 9. Siem Reap, Cambodia (+14)
- 10. Shanghai, China (+12)
- 11. Berlin, Germany (0)
- 12. New York City, New York (-10)
- 13. Florence, Italy (-5)
- 14. Buenos Aires, Argentina (+4)
- 15. Barcelona, Spain (-10)
- 16. St. Petersburg, Russia (+4)
- 17. Dubai, United Arab Emirates (New)
- 18. Chicago, Illinois (-4)
- 19. Cape Town, South Africa (-3)
- 20. Bangkok, Thailand (-7)
- 21. Budapest, Hungary (New)
- 22. Sydney, Australia (-12)
- 23. Lisbon, Portugal (New)
- 24. Chiang Mai, Thailand (0)
- 25. San Francisco, California (-18)
Top 25 Travelers’ Choice U.S. Destinations:
- 1. New York City, New York (0)
- 2. Chicago, Illinois (+1)
- 3. San Francisco, California (-1)
- 4. Las Vegas, Nevada (0)
- 5. New Orleans, Louisiana (+5)
- 6. Los Angeles, California (+2)
- 7. San Diego, California (New)
- 8. Seattle, Washington (+3)
- 9. Washington, D.C. (-3)
- 10. Orlando, Florida (-5)
- 11. Honolulu, Hawaii (-2)
- 12. Houston, Texas (+13)
- 13. Charleston, South Carolina (+2)
- 14. Boston, Massachusetts (-7)
- 15. Portland, Oregon (+4)
- 16. San Antonio, Texas (+1)
- 17. Palm Springs, California (+6)
- 18. Austin, Texas (New)
- 19. Branson, Missouri (New)
- 20. Atlanta, Georgia (New
- 21. Phoenix, Arizona (New)
- 22. Myrtle Beach, South Carolina (-1)
- 23. Saint Louis, Missouri (New)
- 24. Nashville, Tennessee (New)
- 25. Miami, Florida (-13)
Asian Destinations Climb World List of Top Spots
Six of the top 25 world spots are from Asia and four Asian cities saw a climb of at least 10 places in the world top 25 list year-over-year. Beijing jumped 17 spots to #4 in the world, Hanoi is new to the list this year at #8, Siem Reap rose 14 spots to #9, and Shanghai climbed 12 places to #10.
Texas and Southern Destinations Rise in the U.S.
Ten of the top 25 in the U.S. are southern destinations and it was a particularly strong showing from the Lone Star state this year. Houston saw the biggest jump on the U.S. list, up 13 spots to #12. San Antonio moved up one spot to #16 and Austin was new to the list at #18. Other southern spots that climbed the charts this year: New Orleans (+5 to #5) and Charleston (+2 to #13), while Atlanta (#20) and Nashville (#24) are new to this year’s U.S. top 25.
For the complete list of winners from the 2014 Travelers' Choice Destinations, as well as reviews and candid traveler photos, go to www.tripadvisor.com/TravelersChoice-Destinations.
To see the best hotels for luxury, bargain, and more, as honored in TripAdvisor Travelers' Choice Awards for Hotels from January, go to www.tripadvisor.com/TravelersChoice-Hotels.
TripAdvisor® is the world's largest travel site*, enabling travelers to plan and have the perfect trip. TripAdvisor offers trusted advice from real travelers and a wide variety of travel choices and planning features with seamless links to booking tools. TripAdvisor branded sites make up the largest travel community in the world, reaching more than 260 million unique monthly visitors** in 2013, and more than 150 million reviews and opinions covering more than 3.7 million accommodations, restaurants and attractions. The sites operate in 37 countries worldwide, including China under daodao.com. TripAdvisor also includes TripAdvisor for Business, a dedicated division that provides the tourism industry access to millions of monthly TripAdvisor visitors.
TripAdvisor, Inc. (NASDAQ: TRIP) manages and operates websites under 20 other travel media brands: www.airfarewatchdog.com, www.bookingbuddy.com, www.cruisecritic.com, www.everytrail.com, www.familyvacationcritic.com, www.flipkey.com, www.gateguru.com, www.holidaylettings.co.uk, www.holidaywatchdog.com, www.independenttraveler.com, www.jetsetter.com, www.niumba.com, www.onetime.com, www.oyster.com, www.seatguru.com, www.smartertravel.com, www.tingo.com, www.travelpod.com, www.virtualtourist.com, and www.kuxun.cn.
*Source: comScore Media Metrix for TripAdvisor Sites, worldwide, December 2013
**Source: Google Analytics, worldwide data, July 2013