How to capture compelling audio and video while you WFH
The coronavirus outbreak has launched the largest work-from-home initiative we’ve seen in recent history. Despite social distancing, corporate communication is still essential to keeping employees, the media, and customers updated on how your company is responding to events as they unfold.
MultiVu Creative is here to give you some tips and tricks for creating compelling video and audio messaging right in your (temporary) home office. While we are the first to admit that shooting from home is not ideal, these tips will help you make the most of your messaging under these unique circumstances.
- Shoot with your phone. Many modern phones have more than adequate cameras for filming at home. If you don’t have an iPhone or an Android phone with high-quality camera, you can use your computer’s camera.
- Shoot in a well-lit room and avoid placing the subject in front of a window (any backlight will make their face too dark).
- Avoid shaky video by setting up a tripod or phone stand if you have one, or build a stable structure if you don’t.
- ALWAYS shoot horizontally.
- It’s always best to shoot in a room with soft furniture – it helps reduce echo by absorbing sound. A home office or bedroom is usually the best bet.
- If you really want to go all out, order a microphone that will plug right into your phone to make the sound quality even better.
- For audio-only recordings, try putting a blanket or thick coat over you and the microphone to cut down on outside sound. Just make sure you don’t rustle around, though, because the mic will pick that up.
- Speak at a normal volume and make sure to hold the mic a few inches from your face, pointed directly at your mouth.
- Practice! Do a few test runs and play it back to make sure you’re happy with the results.
- Remember that we’re here to help. MultiVu’s post-production team is working at full capacity from remote locations. We can help you with the editing process by adding graphics, animations, and branding to make your video look more produced.
MultiVu Creative is an award-winning, 20+ member team of designers, illustrators, animators, editors, producers, and media strategists. We are ready, willing, and able to help you with your corporate messaging at any step of the process - from conception to troubleshooting to final editing. Contact us today and let us know how we can support you.
Phone Filming 101
Create compelling video and audio messaging while working from home.
For even more advice on how to navigate this new media landscape, check out MultiVu’s Crisis Communications page.
ABOUT THE EXPERT: Ryan Coutu
Ryan Coutu is a video editor/motion graphics editor with ten years of experience in post-production. He specializes in short-form content and movie trivia, and will tell you about his Star Wars podcast if you ask him. His secret special skill is ice skating.
MultiVu is the strategic team at Cision dedicated to the creation and targeted distribution of creative content. Our award-winning diverse pool of industry-leading talent are extremely passionate about partnering with our clients, bringing best-in-class stories and concepts to life, and getting those stories to the audiences who want to experience them most. To start crafting your story, visit us online at www.multivu.com.