Healthcare and Creative: A Love Story
Healthcare, meet creative. Creative, meet healthcare.
These two have been forever bumping into each other in your videos... Will they ever make it work, fall in love, and live happily ever after?
As a healthcare producer at MultiVu, I am watching this on-screen romance unfold. And I'm pleased to see healthcare trying to take the plunge into the creative dating pool.
It's more than a mild attraction-there's some serious chemistry between these two. But they're still warming up to one another -learning each other's likes and dislikes; flirting with the line between past practices and today's best practices.
And I recognize that while healthcare is more rooted in tradition, audiences are more demanding. It's time to find a new way to tell this story-and have content resonate with the audience who needs it most.
So, if you are working on a healthcare initiative-- be it a FDA approval, patient story, device development, or Key Opinion Leader insight piece-- allow me to give you my love notes on how (and when) to incorporate creative into your video production:
1) Love Languages
Medical jargon isn't sexy. So how do you spice it up? To keep the focus on your key messages without losing your audience, there are many ways you can bring your content to life:
- Shoot on a green screen and add digitally produced scientific theorems to the background.
- Bring in the equipment that will give you a bird's eye view of your laboratory.
- Capture your content in higher resolution to give your editor room to make your piece larger than life.
- Consider a multicamera set up-cutting back and forth between, keeping your audiences on the edge of their seats.
- Don't have time to organize a shoot? Let animation tell your story!
2) Stay True
Afraid that getting creative will give you side effects that make you feel, well, not you? Not to worry:
- Creatively, you can incorporate your brand colors, logos, fonts-heck, even incorporate your own icons! If you need to stay in line with your brand guidelines, know that you can still add some color - all while staying inside those lines.
- Don't be afraid to think outside the (video player) box! The design that was created specifically for your video can be applied to a multitude of assets, based on your campaign's needs. Want a digital banner that links to your content? Infographic that highlights your findings? GIF for social? All can be custom designed to match the look and feel of your video-now that's a package deal!
3) Get Personal
Put the person back in personalized medicine. And the best way to do that? Let's lift the veil and see the face behind the science:
- Your medicine may be the message-but know that audiences identify with genuine, authentic content. They want to put a face to the name-someone they can relate to on a personal level.
- Think of all the people “behind” the science-patients, scientists, researchers, caregivers-they all have a story to tell.
- Don't be afraid to tug at their heartstrings and bring some emotion into your piece by letting people take you along their personal journeys. This helps your audiences laugh with you, cry with you, love with you-to feel and connect with your content.
4) The Look of Love
Feel as though creative isn't your “type?” Well, before you swipe left, think of the possibilities of types of content you need produced. The healthcare content landscape is changing-- more and more, creative is being incorporated into healthcare content through:
- patient testimonials
- device manufacturing
- disease awareness
- campaign highlights
- digital apps
- new technologies
- thought leadership
- large scale medical conferences-ESMO, ASH, ASCO, oh MY!
So, what does this all mean to you? Take notice that healthcare is moving into the creative space. While still playing it safe, healthcare videos and campaigns should no longer feature just a talking head-there are numerous creative components that bring a story to life on screen. In order to engage your audience, think of the creative possibilities of how to tell your story--what is the creative glue that is going to make your story stick? Don't be afraid to throw caution to the wind- you might just fall in love.
Important Safety Information:
What is Creative®?
Creative is an infusion of a fresh perspective into longstanding healthcare video practices. Creative can be considered, but not limited to, concept development and ideation, scripting, producing, designing, and editing of new creative concepts into a healthcare video.
Common Side Effects of Creative® Include an Increase of:audience reach, campaign awareness, user engagement, and may evoke a vast range of emotions.
Before Taking Creative®, Consider All Your Brand Guidelines, Including:
- Font Family
- Color (and color subsets)
How Can I Tell if Creative Is Right for Me?
While Creative® isn't right for every video, it can be approved for future use.
For Full Prescribing Information, Please Contact [email protected]
ABOUT THE EXPERT: Lauren McCurdy
Lauren specializes in healthcare and pharmaceutical video production. Her experience and expertise has spoken to FDA approvals, patient testimonials, medical device videos, and new advances in medical therapies and technologies. Her priority is meeting client needs regarding the regulations mandated by the FDA. She is passionate in learning new advances in medicine and working with the MultiVu team to break the stories of new therapies to the affected patient population in a targeted effort.
Lauren graduated from Fordham University, majored in Communications and Media Studies with a dual concentration in New Media and Journalism, and minored in Computer and Information Sciences. She worked for Anderson Cooper at CNN prior to joining MultiVu.
MultiVu, a Cision/PR Newswire division, produces and places compelling content strategically across multiple channels globally to deliver targeted results and drive desired engagement. Created in 2002 from network news veterans and media relations professionals, MultiVu has grown into a content creation and media strategy company, leading in the broadcast communications industry. More information can be found on www.multivu.com.